13. Ubaldo Jimenez - 136
14. Johan Santana - 135
15. Joel Pineiro - 131
<b>16. Ted Lilly - 131</b>
17. Randy Wolf - 129
18. Jason Marquis - 126
19. Doug Davis - 120
20. Yovani Gallardo - 119
Note: Zambrano is 22nd at 113 and Dempster is 31st at 106.

Conclusion - Our pitching has been fantastic. I don't think I ever give Ted Lilly enough credit for what he's done over the years. I'm surpirsed to see Doug Davis and Marquis on this list. JA Happ will win rookie of the year b/c he pitches for a playoff team. Many of the guys on here are quite young.

Top 20 NL OPS+ Leaders
1. Albert Pujols - 191
2. Adrian Gonzalez - 162
3. Prince Fielder - 160
4. Hanley Ramirez - 155
5. Adam Dunn - 155
6. Chase Utley - 151
7. Josh Willingham - 144
8. Pablo Sandoval - 144
9. Ryan Braun - 144
10. Justin Upton - 141
11. Lance Berkman - 139
12. Mark Reynolds - 138
13. Joey Votto - 136
14. Ryan Howard - 136
15. Todd Helton - 135
16. Matt Kemp - 134
17. Ryan Zimmerman - 133
<b>18. Derrek Lee - 133</b>
19. Andre Ethier - 133
20. David Wright - 132

Note: The next Cub on the list is Fuk at 33rd with a 116 OPS+ and Bradley with at 37th with a 112 OPS+.

Conclusion: It is really amazing how much better Pujols is than anyone else. Adam Dunn is having an amazing year. Aramis OPS+ is 133. He didn't qualify for the ranking b/c he had too few plate appearances. Theriot's OPS+ is 88, which is pretty bad considering he isn't a plus defender. Fontenot's OPS+ is 71, which is the sixth worst of any player with 300+ plate appearances. Fox's OPS+ is 188 and Baker's is 124. Soriano's OPS+ is 86, again quite bad.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->JA Happ will win rookie of the year b/c he pitches for a playoff team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not exactly sure what that comment means, but he's going to win Rookie of the Year because he's been the best rookie in the National League.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=61315:date=Sep 2 2009, 03:33 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Sep 2 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->JA Happ will win rookie of the year b/c he pitches for a playoff team.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not exactly sure what that comment means, but he's going to win Rookie of the Year because he's been the best rookie in the National League.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree, but what's funny is that Wells is treated like some scrub putting together a fluke rookie season at 27. Wells is 2 months older than Happ. The difference in their stats is pretty nominal, aside from W/L.
Good job, Coldneck.
Also, wanted to mention that Clappie's site is featured by Rob Neyer today.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot's OPS+ is 88, which is pretty bad considering he isn't a plus defender. Fontenot's OPS+ is 71, which is the sixth worst of any player with 300+ plate appearances.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of all the suggestions we've had to improve the team on the site, the one that seems the most obvious is to blow up the middle infield.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=61322:date=Sep 2 2009, 03:46 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Sep 2 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good job, Coldneck.
Also, wanted to mention that Clappie's site is featured by Rob Neyer today.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's awesome. Can you post the link?
Point #1-
I agree with 'Neck that the Cub's pitching hasn't really been our problem, and Larry seems like a keen guy and all. I'm just posting this for <i>discussion</i>:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec--><b>Dave Duncan leaving Cards</b>?
September 1, 2009

Tony La Russa had an unusual experience last week. For the first time in his memory, he managed a game without the reassuring presence of Dave Duncan.
Duncan, who has been La Russa's pitching coach since they were in Chicago together in 1983, took Tuesday off for personal reasons. The division-leading Cardinals soldiered on without him, with Duncan's protégé Adam Wainwright throwing eight shutout innings in a 1-0 victory against Houston.

"It was very strange,” La Russa said. "I don't know if he's ever missed a game before. If he has, I can't remember it.”

La Russa is considered one of the top managers in baseball, a winner of two World Series titles who is called an innovator, a motivator, a tactician and even, by some, a genius. But he readily acknowledges that without Duncan ministering to the pitching staff, the story all these years would probably be different.

"It's amazing what that guy does,” La Russa said. "He's so freaking good, it's unbelievable.”

Duncan's suddenly a hot topic because <b>his contract expires after this season</b>, and he's been sounding less than enthusiastic about returning to the Cardinals next season. Why? Here's St. Louis columnist Joe Strauss:
<b>He is angry</b> - publicly so at a St. Louis media he believes stoked last month's trade of his outfielder son Chris to the Boston Red Sox and, until now, privately at a franchise that has created a minor-league pitching philosophy independent of his and bullpen coach Marty Mason's input.
A number inside and outside the Cardinals organization view <b>Duncan's smoldering dissatisfaction</b> as a precursor to him leaving after this season. That belief only gained steam last week when Duncan asked general manager John Mozeliak for a one-day leave of absence upon the team's return from a 5-2 West Coast trip to address "personal business."

Dave Duncan is a hot commodity, and for good reason. He's not thrilled with his bossess, and for reasons that any father could probably understand (he was apparently angry at not just the local media, but also with the front office over how his son's situation was handled).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I thought that their GM was the one who was magical (I can't even remember his name now -- he's with Cincy). Now it's Duncan. But I'll bet that when/if he leaves the Cardinals, they'll still pull the same bullshit -- turning the Kent Bottenfields of the world into Cy Young pitchers.

*sigh*
<!--quoteo(post=61329:date=Sep 2 2009, 04:58 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 2 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=61322:date=Sep 2 2009, 03:46 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Sep 2 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Good job, Coldneck.
Also, wanted to mention that Clappie's site is featured by Rob Neyer today.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's awesome. Can you post the link?
The last paragraph.

And do you mean Walt Jocketty?
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

<!--quoteo(post=61324:date=Sep 2 2009, 03:49 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Sep 2 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot's OPS+ is 88, which is pretty bad considering he isn't a plus defender. Fontenot's OPS+ is 71, which is the sixth worst of any player with 300+ plate appearances.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of all the suggestions we've had to improve the team on the site, the one that seems the most obvious is to blow up the middle infield.

It's been obvious since DeRosa was traded. I'm not trying to rehash that argument, just pointing out that there was a gaping hole (that many of us wanted filled with O-Dog) that Hendry didn't address.
<!--quoteo(post=61335:date=Sep 2 2009, 04:25 PM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Sep 2 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=61324:date=Sep 2 2009, 03:49 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Sep 2 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot's OPS+ is 88, which is pretty bad considering he isn't a plus defender. Fontenot's OPS+ is 71, which is the sixth worst of any player with 300+ plate appearances.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's been obvious since DeRosa was traded. I'm not trying to rehash that argument, just pointing out that there was a gaping hole (that many of us wanted filled with O-Dog) that Hendry didn't address.

The Cubs are ready to sign Peavy and you know that Fontenot is about have a monster season. Sorry that was last February's comment.
<!--quoteo(post=61313:date=Sep 2 2009, 03:29 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 2 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Top 20 NL ERA+ Leaders

<b>7. Randy Wells - 152</b>

<b>16. Ted Lilly - 131</b>

Note: Zambrano is 22nd at 113 and Dempster is 31st at 106.

Conclusion - Our pitching has been fantastic. I don't think I ever give Ted Lilly enough credit for what he's done over the years. I'm surpirsed to see Doug Davis and Marquis on this list. JA Happ will win rookie of the year b/c he pitches for a playoff team. Many of the guys on here are quite young.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wells has done an amazing job this season. He has been doing more than his fair share in saving the Cubs performance this season from being a total joke but unlike many I'm not ready to anoint him the next coming of Greg Maddux.

I would pencil him in for battling for a No. 5 pitcher on most playoff bound teams for 2010.

Here's hoping that I'm wrong and #36 becomes one of the next numbers retired by the Cubs.
Is it any wonder the Cards are in 1st place? They have the NLs best two players on their team and the 4th best pitcher. They will be damn tough to beat in a 7 game series.
<!--quoteo(post=61347:date=Sep 2 2009, 06:01 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Sep 2 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Is it any wonder the Cards are in 1st place? They have the NLs best two players on their team and the 4th best pitcher. They will be damn tough to beat in a 7 game series.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I swear...I'm going to be pretty close to walking away from baseball forever if they win the World Series again this year.
I wish we could get Hanley Ramriez.