Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Getting closer to a deal for Peavy?

LAS VEGAS - It might be inching toward a deal instead of taking a big leap, but Padres general manager Kevin Towers said Tuesday evening that a deal involving Jake Peavy to the Cubs "looks more likely today than yesterday."

Towers confirmed that he met with Cubs general manager Jim Hendry earlier in the day Tuesday and would again later Tuesday evening as they continue discussions regarding the 2007 Cy Young winner and the compensation the Padres would receive.

Towers had the sense that Hendry needed to move "some money" in order to get the deal off the ground. That could mean moving pitcher Jason Marquis and his $9.875 million contract for 2009 and/or possibly another player.

Towers also indicated that a third team would be needed to facilitate a deal and possibly even a fourth team and that a deal, if it's agreed upon, wouldn't be announced until after Thursday's Rule 5 Draft.

The Phillies are believed to be the third team involved in the deal and have the pitching that the Padres would want in return. Towers said the package of players he's looking at lean more toward pitchers than position players and Major League-ready players who could land on the 25-man roster for Opening Day instead of prospects.

As was the case on Monday, Towers is waiting to hear from Hendry that the deal is a go before they can proceed.

"We've pretty much settled on the players coming back," Towers said. "Jim has a feel for what we need to move Peavy. It's is he able to make things happen financially to take on Jake's contract."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A Chicago Cubs source vehemently denied reports that a trade for Jake Peavy is imminent, telling ESPN.com Tuesday that the club is not "remotely close" to a deal for the San Diego Padres ace.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=3161:date=Dec 9 2008, 07:55 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3154:date=Dec 9 2008, 07:47 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3119:date=Dec 9 2008, 06:56 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 9 2008, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3116:date=Dec 9 2008, 06:54 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think I'd rather trade Marshall than Guzman<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why? We at least know Marshall will go out there and he's a solid fill in starter, solid reliever, he's very valuable and we'll miss him this year. I used to love Angel Guzman, but I've pretty much given up on him ever being anything. He's got superb stuff but still doesn't know how to pitch, and he's always hurt. Guzman=Pie to me. Marshall's a proven solid pitcher, and he was great in the playoffs.

Again, the Guzman/Pie comparison. That doesn't make sense to me. Guzman has the stuff and injury issues, Pie is raw talent that hasn't translated (but healthy). Guz is throwing mid 90's again with nasty stuff, Marshall is a known commodity and Guz isn't.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the deal, just personal preference.
The comparison is because they're both incredible talents, but I don't think they'll ever put it together to succeed at the big league level. He'll also be 27 already next week. And Marshall is known commodity which to me is a good thing, what's wrong with a lefty with an ERA in the mid 3's that can start, relieve, do whatever the manager wants? And as I said, he was tremendous in October, he really stepped up and impressed me. These are the guys we need to keep, not keep a guy over him that can never stay healthy and still doesn't know how to pitch at 27.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3164:date=Dec 9 2008, 08:00 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Dec 9 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->A Chicago Cubs source vehemently denied reports that a trade for Jake Peavy is imminent, telling ESPN.com Tuesday that the club is not "remotely close" to a deal for the San Diego Padres ace.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this from now, or earlier?
Posted on ESPN less than 2 hours ago.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Gammons, Olney, everybody I've seen on tv has said all day it's not a matter of if but when.
@TheBlogfines
What a bunch of pricks. Let's call a news conference to announce that there's no news.
It definitely seems like there has been some movement between the CSN reports and Towers' comments. CSN has affiliations with the team and usually has pretty good sources.
Nobody seems to know shit. It's gone back and forth, from likely to not close, more times today than it has the last two months. I'm going over to the Bellagio to find out what's going on once and for all. Right after I have a few cocktails and play a few hands.
<!--quoteo(post=3178:date=Dec 9 2008, 08:20 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Dec 9 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nobody seems to know shit. It's gone back and forth, from likely to not close, more times today than it has the last two months. I'm going over to the Bellagio to find out what's going on once and for all. Right after I have a few cocktails and play a few hands.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Awesome, I was actually about to suggest this. Seriously, do it. Worst that happens is you just get hammered and gamble... I mean shit I wish I were there doing that right now.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=3182:date=Dec 9 2008, 06:26 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3178:date=Dec 9 2008, 08:20 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Dec 9 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nobody seems to know shit. It's gone back and forth, from likely to not close, more times today than it has the last two months. I'm going over to the Bellagio to find out what's going on once and for all. Right after I have a few cocktails and play a few hands.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Awesome, I was actually about to suggest this. Seriously, do it. Worst that happens is you just get hammered and gamble... I mean shit I wish I were there doing that right now.

When I went to Atlanta for games a few years ago, I saw Hendry in a mall there. I should have befriended him then. Then I'd be in the fuckin' loop fo sho.
Garfien has updated his blog. There are a couple of comments from Hendry but nothing big.
<!--quoteo(post=3194:date=Dec 9 2008, 09:31 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 9 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Garfien has updated his blog. There are a couple of comments from Hendry but nothing big.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Garfien has weird ears.

He also has a facebook page: elf ears
Rapp is friends with Kerry Sayers? And damn she looks hot in that pic.
@TheBlogfines
Do not Google image search Kerry Sayers