Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=3064:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:52 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3063:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:49 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3061:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3056:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You make a good point, except it's moot because no one on that list except Furcal makes this team any better. And we aren't getting Furcal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better than what? Leaving Fontenot at second and Theriot at SS?

Are Punto and Lopez not good defenders?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I actually worded that poorly...Roberts makes this team infinitely better than any of those SS do, even taking into account the question of defense at short. So I guess as a last resort I wouldn't mind grabbing someone like Punto (I think he's a fairly decent SS, and I thought I read Lopez is probably going back to St. Louis, I might be wrong though), but I definitely would rather have Roberts than any of those guys.

I just don't think it's possible to get Roberts for a few reasons. If we got Peavy and an outfielder, I don't think Hendry would be able to add anything significant to the payroll. It would be hard to put together a package to get Roberts after all of that, and if we did the cupboard would definitely be empty then.
I understand that, and I'm not sure it's a realistic thought to get Roberts after those moves. But I got the feeling from your first post that you would rather have one of these shortstops than Roberts if it was everything was equal, and I disagree with that. If that's not what you were saying, then I think we're on the same page here.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=3077:date=Dec 9 2008, 05:05 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 9 2008, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Crazy isn't it?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Un-fucking-fathomable.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] I probably should have deleted the Zambrano part from that post as I was mostly just wanting to post the Peavy stuff.
<!--quoteo(post=3084:date=Dec 9 2008, 06:30 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3064:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:52 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3063:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:49 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3061:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3056:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You make a good point, except it's moot because no one on that list except Furcal makes this team any better. And we aren't getting Furcal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better than what? Leaving Fontenot at second and Theriot at SS?

Are Punto and Lopez not good defenders?
I actually worded that poorly...Roberts makes this team infinitely better than any of those SS do, even taking into account the question of defense at short. So I guess as a last resort I wouldn't mind grabbing someone like Punto (I think he's a fairly decent SS, and I thought I read Lopez is probably going back to St. Louis, I might be wrong though), but I definitely would rather have Roberts than any of those guys.

I just don't think it's possible to get Roberts for a few reasons. If we got Peavy and an outfielder, I don't think Hendry would be able to add anything significant to the payroll. It would be hard to put together a package to get Roberts after all of that, and if we did the cupboard would definitely be empty then.
I understand that, and I'm not sure it's a realistic thought to get Roberts after those moves. But I got the feeling from your first post that you would rather have one of these shortstops than Roberts if it was everything was equal, and I disagree with that. If that's not what you were saying, then I think we're on the same page here.

If all things were equal and you told me I could get either Roberts or Punto, I would take Roberts a million times over.
<!--quoteo(post=3050:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:31 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 9 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No way should we ever trade D-Ro, Runnys. I'm sorry, but I don't want Peavy if it takes DeRosa. Our pitching is already top 5 in the NL and this only makes it better, but it makes our PROBLEM even WORSE. Offense, boys....Offense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed. Losing one of our best hitters, who can play literally everwhere and is one of our leaders, for a guy that's gotten destroyed twice in the playoffs, got destroyed in the 07 tiebreaker, and has a 3.80 career ERA on the road when we already have 4 terrific starters? Look, I want Jake Peavy on this team, but giving up Mark DeRosa for him will not make us a better team. Laugh at that all you want but you have to look at our needs, and people underestimate the importance of DeRo's versatility. If Cedeno's going as well, we then need a backup 3rd baseman, a backup 2nd baseman, a backup shortstop, etc. That's why Rich Aurilia's name is coming up and if we trade DeRo, Aurilia's name is not going away.
You lose Wood and DeRo, the players aren't going to like that.
Haugh is even saying the same thing on Tribune Live right now, you cannot afford to lose this guy. And that'll be great, let's make the world champs even better in our own league. DON'T DO IT.
@TheBlogfines
What do we think DeRo will give us next year, based on career stats?
<!--quoteo(post=3092:date=Dec 9 2008, 05:45 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3050:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:31 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 9 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No way should we ever trade D-Ro, Runnys. I'm sorry, but I don't want Peavy if it takes DeRosa. Our pitching is already top 5 in the NL and this only makes it better, but it makes our PROBLEM even WORSE. Offense, boys....Offense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed. Losing one of our best hitters, who can play literally everwhere and is one of our leaders, for a guy that's gotten destroyed twice in the playoffs, got destroyed in the 07 tiebreaker, and has a 3.80 career ERA on the road when we already have 4 terrific starters? Look, I want Jake Peavy on this team, but giving up Mark DeRosa for him will not make us a better team. Laugh at that all you want but you have to look at our needs, and people underestimate the importance of DeRo's versatility. If Cedeno's going as well, we then need a backup 3rd baseman, a backup 2nd baseman, a backup shortstop, etc. That's why Rich Aurilia's name is coming up and if we trade DeRo, Aurilia's name is not going away.
You lose Wood and DeRo, the players aren't going to like that.
Haugh is even saying the same thing on Tribune Live right now, you cannot afford to lose this guy. And that'll be great, let's make the world champs even better in our own league. DON'T DO IT.

sorry if i crossed the line butch. usually mormons and homosexuals are on the board, but maybe the timing was bad. i pulled a grievous boner.

i'm not thrilled with the possibility of losing derosa either.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=3098:date=Dec 9 2008, 06:54 PM:name=Quinn)-->QUOTE (Quinn @ Dec 9 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What do we think DeRo will give us next year, based on career stats?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He'll have a very solid season, prpbably a few less homers but not much worse than the last 2 years. He's hungry for a title too. This guy gets it maybe more than anybody on our team. We should be trying to get more of these guys, not trading them away. Yeah, it's a great pitcher we'd be getting in return, but again, that's not a need for us. If you can get him without giving up players important to your team and just trade a bunch of prospects, yeah do it. This was a 97 win team though, we shouldn't be getting rid of important guys but adding on to what we had. All we should be looking for is a clutch hitter that we think would give us a better chance to score runs in the playoffs.
Again, I want Peavy, but don't want him if it means giving up DeRosa.
@TheBlogfines
Comcast is reporting a deal is close to happening and Hendry is meeting with the media within the hour.
http://csnchicago.com/pages/new_landing/?C...&feedID=661

Chuck Garfien's MLB Winter Meetings Blog

Tuesday, December 9th at 5:48 p.m.

We'’ve spoken to a source within the negotiations that say Jim Hendry and Kevin Towers are very close to making the Peavy deal happen.

Jim Hendry is speaking to the media at 6:30 central time. We'll know more then.
Shit's pretty interesting at NSBB http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/vie...&start=1975

Apparently Hendry and Towers are both going to be addressing the media shortly.
This. must have been earlier in the day considering the report on Comcast.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Padres shot down a national report that they are targeting Phillies catcher Chris Coste as part of a Jake Peavy trade that would move Cubs infielder Mark DeRosa to the Phillies. Phillies left-hander J.A. Happ, viewed as a potential No. 4 or 5 starter for 2009, is on the radar, along with a lower-level pitching prospect. The Padres are seeking young pitching from the Phillies as part of the many scenarios involving three or four teams in a trade that would place Jake Peavy with the Cubs.

Talked directly with the Cubs, who said today they are "going in a different direction" from the Peavy talks but the talks aren't dead.

As of this morning, the Cubs had pulled left-handed starter Sean Marshall from advanced trade talks, which pleased Cubs manger Lou Piniella. The Cubs want the Padres to instead take starting pitcher Jason Marquis. A major issue there is how much money the Cubs would eat. The Padres would need the Cubs to pay more than half of the $9.8 million due Marquis. Whether the Cubs can make a better side deal is part of the dynamics a making a trade fit. The Cubs also are talking to the agent of Randy Johnson. If they move Marquis and sign Johnson, they could pull the plug on the Peavy talks.

The Padres have asked for Cubs pitching prospect Angel Guzman, but Chicago's scouts are reluctant to move him, especially now that the right-hander is throwing 96 miles-per-hour in Venezuela.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think I'd rather trade Marshall than Guzman
<!--quoteo(post=3116:date=Dec 9 2008, 06:54 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 9 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think I'd rather trade Marshall than Guzman<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.
Boyle confirmed it right now on CSN.