Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
Do we have Peavy yet?

SANDBERG
Zambrano has a full no-trade clause.
No way should we ever trade D-Ro, Runnys. I'm sorry, but I don't want Peavy if it takes DeRosa. Our pitching is already top 5 in the NL and this only makes it better, but it makes our PROBLEM even WORSE. Offense, boys....Offense.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
Miles says the DeRosa stuff was not originated by the Cubs nor has it been agreed to by Hendry. Its just one of the 3rd team possibilities Towers has set up.
<!--quoteo(post=3030:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM:name=Sandberg)-->QUOTE (Sandberg @ Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do we have Peavy yet?

SANDBERG<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

BTW, does it really make sense to go through the trouble of trading for Peavy then getting rid of Zambrano? It just seems silly to me.

Also, everyone's talking about trying to go for Roberts... but honestly if DeRosa gets traded I want to see what the Cubs can do about bringing in a shortstop rather then another second baseman. It would be nice to see Fontenot and Theriot splitting time at second base with Theriot filling in at shortstop from time to time. The problem is the free agent list doesn't impress too much.

Willie Bloomquist (31)
Orlando Cabrera (34) - Type A, offered arb
Alex Cintron (30)
Alex Cora (33)
Craig Counsell (38)
David Eckstein (34)
Rafael Furcal (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Chris Gomez (38)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (33)
Cesar Izturis (29)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Tomohiro Nioka (33)
Nick Punto (31)
Luis Rivas (29)
Juan Uribe (30) - Type B, not offered arb
Ramon Vazquez (32)
Omar Vizquel (42)

I know for sure that Cabrera is an excellent glove and Uribe is better then average. Cabrera will cost too much along with the fact we'd have to give up a draft pick. I don't know if I could handle watching Uribe batting for us either. He hasn't posted an OBP over .300 the last three years!

I'm curious how good Nick Punto and Felipe Lopez are at fielding. I think one of those guys fills in adequately as an almost every day shortstop. If they are plus defenders, I go with them rather then depleting the farm system even more for Roberts (I don't think we'd even have enough to get Roberts after the Peavy trade).

If we have to lose DeRosa, I would rather try to shore up the defense at shortstop then try to replace his production at second base.
I think DeRo is incredibly important to this ball club, and virtually irreplaceable. However, DeRosa/Marquis/Marshall/Pie to get Peavy seems like an awfully good deal. And if DeRo goes, Hendry needs to do everything in his power to get Brian Roberts.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=3054:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:34 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3030:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM:name=Sandberg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sandberg @ Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do we have Peavy yet?

BTW, does it really make sense to go through the trouble of trading for Peavy then getting rid of Zambrano? It just seems silly to me.

Also, everyone's talking about trying to go for Roberts... but honestly if DeRosa gets traded I want to see what the Cubs can do about bringing in a shortstop rather then another second baseman. It would be nice to see Fontenot and Theriot splitting time at second base with Theriot filling in at shortstop from time to time. The problem is the free agent list doesn't impress too much.

Willie Bloomquist (31)
Orlando Cabrera (34) - Type A, offered arb
Alex Cintron (30)
Alex Cora (33)
Craig Counsell (38)
David Eckstein (34)
Rafael Furcal (31)
Nomar Garciaparra (35)
Chris Gomez (38)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (33)
Cesar Izturis (29)
Felipe Lopez (29)
Tomohiro Nioka (33)
Nick Punto (31)
Luis Rivas (29)
Juan Uribe (30) - Type B, not offered arb
Ramon Vazquez (32)
Omar Vizquel (42)

I know for sure that Cabrera is an excellent glove and Uribe is better then average. Cabrera will cost too much along with the fact we'd have to give up a draft pick. I don't know if I could handle watching Uribe batting for us either. He hasn't posted an OBP over .300 the last three years!

I'm curious how good Nick Punto and Felipe Lopez are at fielding. I think one of those guys fills in adequately as an almost every day shortstop. If they are plus defenders, I go with them rather then depleting the farm system even more for Roberts (I don't think we'd even have enough to get Roberts after the Peavy trade).

If we have to lose DeRosa, I would rather try to shore up the defense at shortstop then try to replace his production at second base.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You make a good point, except it's moot because no one on that list except Furcal makes this team any better. And we aren't getting Furcal.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=3054:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:34 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3030:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM:name=Sandberg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sandberg @ Dec 9 2008, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do we have Peavy yet?

Zambrano has a full no-trade clause, that part is totally fabricated.
<!--quoteo(post=3056:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You make a good point, except it's moot because no one on that list except Furcal makes this team any better. And we aren't getting Furcal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Better than what? Leaving Fontenot at second and Theriot at SS?

Are Punto and Lopez not good defenders?
<!--quoteo(post=3061:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3056:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You make a good point, except it's moot because no one on that list except Furcal makes this team any better. And we aren't getting Furcal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually worded that poorly...Roberts makes this team infinitely better than any of those SS do, even taking into account the question of defense at short. So I guess as a last resort I wouldn't mind grabbing someone like Punto (I think he's a fairly decent SS, and I thought I read Lopez is probably going back to St. Louis, I might be wrong though), but I definitely would rather have Roberts than any of those guys.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=3063:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:49 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3061:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3056:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Dec 9 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You make a good point, except it's moot because no one on that list except Furcal makes this team any better. And we aren't getting Furcal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually worded that poorly...Roberts makes this team infinitely better than any of those SS do, even taking into account the question of defense at short. So I guess as a last resort I wouldn't mind grabbing someone like Punto (I think he's a fairly decent SS, and I thought I read Lopez is probably going back to St. Louis, I might be wrong though), but I definitely would rather have Roberts than any of those guys.

I just don't think it's possible to get Roberts for a few reasons. If we got Peavy and an outfielder, I don't think Hendry would be able to add anything significant to the payroll. It would be hard to put together a package to get Roberts after all of that, and if we did the cupboard would definitely be empty then.
I don't know if this really has anything new but whatever.
From Miles.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Zambrano is not being traded. He has complete no-trade, and he took less money to get it than he could have gotten on the open market.

Peavy wants to stay in the NL. He wants to go to the Cubs. Towers was being honest yesterday when he said it was down to one team. The Cubs continue to say the left-handed bat is their top priority. But there doesn't seem to be a rush on that because the market isn't moving. The prices for Ibanez, Abreu and Bradley and whoever else will only come down as time drags on.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=3066:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:01 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 9 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Miles.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Zambrano is not being traded. He has complete no-trade, and he took less money to get it than he could have gotten on the open market.

Peavy wants to stay in the NL. He wants to go to the Cubs. Towers was being honest yesterday when he said it was down to one team. The Cubs continue to say the left-handed bat is their top priority. But there doesn't seem to be a rush on that because the market isn't moving. The prices for Ibanez, Abreu and Bradley and whoever else will only come down as time drags on.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No shit? Zambrano's not being traded?
Crazy isn't it?