Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
I like Jake Peavy.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Well, it looks like Stark has joined Rosenthal...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A Chicago Cubs source vehemently denied reports that a trade for Jake Peavy is imminent, telling ESPN.com Tuesday that the club is not "remotely close" to a deal for the San Diego Padres ace.

Jake Peavy

Peavy
The Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday night that the Cubs were very close to a deal, according to a source close to GM Jim Hendry.

But according to ESPN.com's source, there are multiple reasons the Cubs can't move forward on any trade for Peavy right now.

First, the source said, the Cubs' "No. 1 priority" is adding a left-handed-hitting outfielder, not a starting pitcher. And the team isn't close to acquiring that bat. The Cubs have interest in a half-dozen outfielders who meet that description, with free agents Raul Ibanez and Bobby Abreu seemingly at the top of that list.

Second, the Cubs' muddled ownership situation leaves Hendry and his baseball people unsure about whether they would be permitted to take on a contract as large as Peavy's. The 27-year-old right-hander will make $11 million next season and has as much as $81 million remaining over the next five years if his team picks up his 2013 option.

The source didn't deny that the Cubs have had numerous discussions about a deal for Peavy, including three-team and four-team scenarios that could involve the Baltimore Orioles and/or Philadelphia Phillies.

But the Cubs have also pursued other, less-expensive starting pitching options, including free agent Randy Johnson, who is only looking for a one-year deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Why does the Unit's name still keep coming up?
Why is it that the offseason can be so fun, yet so fucking frustrating at the same time?
I buy that they want to get the LH bat done, but the ownership thing seems like total BS to me. First of all, it was reported that the perspective owners agreed to a payroll in the $140-150 mil range. Second of all, there is no way they can put this on hold until ST (or later) when SD says they want to get it done before xmas.
<!--quoteo(post=3004:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:04 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 9 2008, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Why does the Unit's name still keep coming up?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because he will sign for a cheap one year deal. His numbers last year were suprisingly good. he also won't cost a single prospect or draft pick.
Bruce Miles also said on NSBB that a deal is definitely not imminent, however he says the stuff about the owner being decided first is not true. Says the Cubs have made it clear they have to get their bat and trade Marquis first to see how much they have left over.
http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1086

Reports of this deal imminent are premature. There is no deal at hand. That may change later this week, but I talked with "Cubs people" this morning, and they said reports of this being a nearly done deal are not true. I have no reason not to believe them. It still could get done, and it could yet get done this week, but there's nothing immediate on this.

Randy Johnson is a back-burner option for the Cubs. I ran into one of Johnson's agents about an hour ago. He had nothing, and agents like to push the notion that things are hot sometimes.

I think the Cubs would be stronger with DeRosa. If they traded him, maybe Fontenot could step in. Two team trades are hard to make these days. Three-team deals are really difficult to pull off.
IF it just takes DeRosa, Marshall, Pie, and Marquis to get the deal done I think you have to do it. Then go out and sign Ibanez and then offer up the Cubs wives and any other prospects we have for Brian Roberts. RF hole filled....check 2B hole filled.....check Peavy in the rotation....check Successful offseason...check.

I know, wishful thinking.
From Baseball Prospectus:

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->–A crazy rumor making the rounds at the Bellagio in Las Vegas is that the Cubs would entertain the idea of possibly trading right-hander Carlos Zambrano in a blockbuster if, as expected, they acquire Padres ace Jake Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=3013:date=Dec 9 2008, 02:44 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 9 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Baseball Prospectus:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->–A crazy rumor making the rounds at the Bellagio in Las Vegas is that the Cubs would entertain the idea of possibly trading right-hander Carlos Zambrano in a blockbuster if, as expected, they acquire Padres ace Jake Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow.

I would hate to see Big Z go. Of course...if it brings in a ridiculous package, I'm all for it. But Z is one of my favorite Cubs.
<!--quoteo(post=3014:date=Dec 9 2008, 01:47 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 9 2008, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=3013:date=Dec 9 2008, 02:44 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 9 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Baseball Prospectus:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->–A crazy rumor making the rounds at the Bellagio in Las Vegas is that the Cubs would entertain the idea of possibly trading right-hander Carlos Zambrano in a blockbuster if, as expected, they acquire Padres ace Jake Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow.

I would hate to see Big Z go. Of course...if it brings in a ridiculous package, I'm all for it. But Z is one of my favorite Cubs.

After last fall, I wouldn't be all that opposed to it to be honest.
<!--quoteo(post=3013:date=Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 9 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From Baseball Prospectus:

I'm a huge Z fan, but I would think of trading him too if it nets us some serious value. He's certifiable. The problem is that he has a no trade clause (full, i think) and his salary doesn't too good on today's market.
Look at how, relatively speaking, little we are giving up in these proposed Peavy trades. With his contract, etc, Peavy is more valuable than Z.

It won't happen.
Not gonna happen.