Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins called up, Stevens to Iowa
<!--quoteo(post=53129:date=Jul 29 2009, 12:14 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jul 29 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Shark will go down when Ryan comes up I would think, that's actually the move I expected (although he can't really eat innings)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
1. We don't know if he's ever going to come up.
2. If he does, it won't be until after six outings or so in Iowa. Just one so far, last night.

I think the Cubs will replace Atkins with a new reliever by Friday, and wouldn't be surprised to see Shark sent down for Stevens soon. The only reason I think Shark stayed up is because Stevens is a 2 innings maximum pitcher, whereas Shark can go more than that if needed. I disagree with the decision, just saying why they probably did.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=53118:date=Jul 29 2009, 11:54 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 29 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=53112:date=Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 29 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=53111:date=Jul 29 2009, 11:46 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 29 2009, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=53107:date=Jul 29 2009, 12:41 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 29 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Shark should have been sent down instead.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes. Also, fresh arm or not, Ascanio not Atkins should have been called up. Atkins has been god awful. If they wanted a fresh arm, it should have been Ascanio up and Shark down.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last I looked at Ascanio's stats, he had been struggling at AAA.
Ascanio: 3.16 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 47 K, 18 BB

Atkins: 6.92 ERA, 1.46 WHIP, 92 K, 37 BB

Seems real strange to me.

He's 1-3 in his last 4 starts though with 15 ER. His peripheral stats aren't that bad to pass him over, but I wonder if they're stretching him out to start?
<!--quoteo(post=53197:date=Jul 29 2009, 02:25 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 29 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=53129:date=Jul 29 2009, 12:14 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jul 29 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Shark will go down when Ryan comes up I would think, that's actually the move I expected (although he can't really eat innings)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
2. If he does, it won't be until after six outings or so in Iowa. Just one so far, last night.

I think the Cubs will replace Atkins with a new reliever by Friday, and wouldn't be surprised to see Shark sent down for Stevens soon. The only reason I think Shark stayed up is because Stevens is a 2 innings maximum pitcher, whereas Shark can go more than that if needed. I disagree with the decision, just saying why they probably did.

I had read that he'd be up at the end of this week or early next week, barring a trade I would assume.
<!--quoteo(post=53224:date=Jul 29 2009, 01:46 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jul 29 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=53197:date=Jul 29 2009, 02:25 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 29 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=53129:date=Jul 29 2009, 12:14 PM:name=sleepyhead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Jul 29 2009, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Shark will go down when Ryan comes up I would think, that's actually the move I expected (although he can't really eat innings)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had read that he'd be up at the end of this week or early next week, barring a trade I would assume.
This is where I saw what I said but it's Paul Sullivan so it could easily be inaccurate, but yeah he'd have to be called up within 2 weeks from now at least if we want to keep him:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Left-handed reliever B.J. Ryan began his rehab stint at Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday night, giving up no runs and walking one batter in the seventh inning. <b>He's expected to have around six outings before the Cubs decide whether to call him up. According to Ryan's contract, the Cubs must call him up in 15 days from his first appearance or release him so he can sign elsewhere.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->B.J. Ryan apparently topped out at about 87 mph last night in his Iowa debut. He worked 1 inning, giving up 1 walk. The Cubs recently signed the former Blue Jays closer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->