Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This stretch of good games/comebacks...
I missed all of them as I was in West Virginia going white water rafting and mountain climbing.

Is it weird that the Cubs play their best baseball when I'm out of town and unable to watch them play? Maybe I should buy a house in West Virginia...
I only watched a few innings over the weekend myself, but DVRed the games just in case. It's a lot less stressful watching the games when you already know the outcome.
<!--quoteo(post=45530:date=Jun 22 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 22 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I missed all of them as I was in West Virginia going white water rafting and mountain climbing.

Is it weird that the Cubs play their best baseball when I'm out of town and unable to watch them play? <b>Maybe I should buy a house in West Virginia...</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes you should. I'll be sure to record the World Series and send it to you.
<!--quoteo(post=45530:date=Jun 22 2009, 10:37 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 22 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I missed all of them as I was in West Virginia going white water rafting and mountain climbing.

Is it weird that the Cubs play their best baseball when I'm out of town and unable to watch them play? Maybe I should buy a house in West Virginia...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't Utah be a better destination for you? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

If we lose tonight I am blaming you.
From the pictures I saw of that trip it looked like the Lord of the Flies.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=45542:date=Jun 22 2009, 11:38 AM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Jun 22 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->From the pictures I saw of that trip it looked like the Lord of the Flies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It wasn't far off.
Country roads, take Butch home, to the place he belongs, West Virginia, mountain mama, take him home, country roads.

I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Let's be a little honest, there was only one game in which I would say the Cubs played well and that was yesterday. Then you had two games where they looked like shit for 7 complete innings and then one where the other team completely deconstructs in the 13th.

All I'm saying, while it was fun and I love the wins, let's not fool ourselves in thinking we have turned any kind of corner. We were lucky not have gone through, what would have been, our 3rd four game losing streak.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
<!--quoteo(post=45591:date=Jun 22 2009, 04:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jun 22 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's be a little honest, there was only one game in which I would say the Cubs played well and that was yesterday. Then you had two games where they looked like shit for 7 complete innings and then one where the other team completely deconstructs in the 13th.

All I'm saying, while it was fun and I love the wins, let's not fool ourselves in thinking we have turned any kind of corner. We were lucky not have gone through, what would have been, our 3rd four game losing streak.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You need a spark to start a fire.
<!--quoteo(post=45591:date=Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's be a little honest, there was only one game in which I would say the Cubs played well and that was yesterday. Then you had two games where they looked like shit for 7 complete innings and then one where the other team completely deconstructs in the 13th.

All I'm saying, while it was fun and I love the wins, let's not fool ourselves in thinking we have turned any kind of corner. We were lucky not have gone through, what would have been, our 3rd four game losing streak.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

though i agree with most of what you said, the fact is, for the first time this year, the cubs actually came back and won games. that's something i didn't think i'd see again. they also did something else they hadn't done in a while: they strung together hits. add some clutch hitting and i have to say i feel a little better about this team. what they did this weekend is find ways to win instead of finding ways to lose. that's progress.
Wang.
Lee is also hitting the piss out of the ball, which is really encouraging. I was worried that he was done.
<!--quoteo(post=45601:date=Jun 22 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 22 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lee is also hitting the piss out of the ball, which is really encouraging. I was worried that he was done.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

true dat. soto and b-rad are starting to hit as well.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=45591:date=Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's be a little honest, there was only one game in which I would say the Cubs played well and that was yesterday. Then you had two games where they looked like shit for 7 complete innings and then one where the other team completely deconstructs in the 13th.

I'm not totally buying into it either, but sometimes you need a little bit of luck to turn your season around. Also, as mediocre as we've looked all season, it's hard to imagine that our offense was really as bad as that, even without Aramis in the lineup. And for as poorly as we've played all season, we've still been around .500 most of the time. That by itself gives me a small amount of optimism. I'm not saying we've turned a corner, but it could be a helluva lot worse too.
<!--quoteo(post=45599:date=Jun 22 2009, 03:28 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jun 22 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=45591:date=Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Jun 22 2009, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let's be a little honest, there was only one game in which I would say the Cubs played well and that was yesterday. Then you had two games where they looked like shit for 7 complete innings and then one where the other team completely deconstructs in the 13th.

though i agree with most of what you said, the fact is, for the first time this year, the cubs actually came back and won games. that's something i didn't think i'd see again. they also did something else they hadn't done in a while: they strung together hits. add some clutch hitting and i have to say i feel a little better about this team. what they did this weekend is find ways to win instead of finding ways to lose. that's progress.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well said.
Maybe I'm not being realistic, but the way I look at it is if we were playing the Brewers and the Cards these last five games, playing the way we played, would we have taken 4 games. I don't think so. you can't spot that many runs to either of those teams and expect to win. Especially waiting until your last six outs to do it. And while it was nice to see the string of hits, again I'd like to have seen that against some good pitchers. I would have felt much better if we could have knocked Cliff Lee around just a little.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.