Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
So Muskrat was wrong about our payroll not going up much? Wow, that's never happened.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Two Cubs sources told the Sun-Times that the Cubs still are interested in Jake Peavy, with one saying he expects a deal to get done.

There's been talk that the Cubs don't have the ability to do the deal with ownership still up in the air, but it looks like they could boast a $140 million payroll anyway, giving them the flexibility they'd need. Such a plan would likely involve trading Jason Marquis, even if a portion of his $9.875 million salary had to be eaten.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rotoworld.
I fully expect Peavy to be a Cub by opening day, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened before the end of the winter meetings. Towers seems to like how Hendry works and they seem to have a good relationship. I wonder what team Hendry's trying to pawn Marquis off on and what is he asking for in return? It can't be much, but one thing I do know is if a Marquis deal gets announced a Peavy deal will be coming very soon after.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Padres to revist trade talks with Cubs for Peavy

With $27.5 million committed to four players and talk that the payroll could be near $40 million in 2009, GM Kevin Towers still might have salary trimming to do and said last night he will revisit talks with the Cubs on Padres ace Jake Peavy, who is due $11 million next year as part of a four-year, $63 million guarantee. The Padres and Cubs have discussed a five-for-one deal that could involve a third team. The Padres like their chance of getting the Cubs' best prospect, third baseman Josh Vitters, and major leaguers such as starting pitcher Sean Marshall and reliever Kevin Hart, plus talent from a third club. -- San Diego Union-Tribune<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Linky
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The major parts of a Cubs-Padres Jake Peavy deal appear to be hammered out and Josh Vitters is the centerpiece of the Cubs offer. The teams just need to solve the smaller parts to hopefully complete the deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Per Buster Olney

Here's the Link

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=1788:date=Dec 6 2008, 03:02 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 6 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The major parts of a Cubs-Padres Jake Peavy deal appear to be hammered out and Josh Vitters is the centerpiece of the Cubs offer. The teams just need to solve the smaller parts to hopefully complete the deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Per Buster Olney

Here's the Link
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also from your linked site...

The Cubs appear interested in Adam Dunn but have concerns about whether he can play right field everyday.
<!--quoteo(post=1789:date=Dec 6 2008, 03:14 PM:name=twitterwoods)-->QUOTE (twitterwoods @ Dec 6 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1788:date=Dec 6 2008, 03:02 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 6 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The major parts of a Cubs-Padres Jake Peavy deal appear to be hammered out and Josh Vitters is the centerpiece of the Cubs offer. The teams just need to solve the smaller parts to hopefully complete the deal.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Per Buster Olney

Here's the Link

Also from your linked site...

The Cubs appear interested in Adam Dunn but have concerns about whether he can play right field everyday.

I would actually be fine with Dunn in the middle of our lineup. I wouldn't be able to watch everytime the ball is hit to right field, but I'd love to see him drop bombs at Wrigley, this time for us.

- Butcher
As much as I dislike Dunn for various reasons...I can guarantee we would collectively shit ourselves if we actually got him.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=1784:date=Dec 6 2008, 02:39 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 6 2008, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Two Cubs sources told the Sun-Times that the Cubs still are interested in Jake Peavy, with one saying he expects a deal to get done.

There's been talk that the Cubs don't have the ability to do the deal with ownership still up in the air, but it looks like they could boast a $140 million payroll anyway, giving them the flexibility they'd need. Such a plan would likely involve trading Jason Marquis, even if a portion of his $9.875 million salary had to be eaten.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rotoworld.
Pfft, that's from the article I posted, ass! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1813:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As much as I dislike Dunn for various reasons...I can guarantee we would collectively shit ourselves if we actually got him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Honestly, I'd be pissed.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1815:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:03 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 6 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1813:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As much as I dislike Dunn for various reasons...I can guarantee we would collectively shit ourselves if we actually got him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Honestly, I'd be pissed.
Honestly, I'd be pissing my pants.

- Butcher
Do you guys realize how unclutch Adam Dunn is? He's hit 40 home runs or more the last 6 years and has averaged 100 RBI per season in that span. For comparison, Raul Ibanez has managed to produce 103 RBI per season over his last 6 full seasons and only has averaged 23 HRs per season.

I think he would be the most frustrating player we've watched in some time.
He's Soriano with an eye and no speed. If we did not have Soriano he would be a decent fit, but there is not enough room for them both to be on the same team without a DH.

I am now sure that I want Peavy, Bradley and Lopez. And get the regular season started.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=1819:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do you guys realize how unclutch Adam Dunn is? He's hit 40 home runs or more the last 6 years and has averaged 100 RBI per season in that span. For comparison, Raul Ibanez has managed to produce 103 RBI per season over his last 6 full seasons and only has averaged 23 HRs per season.

I think he would be the most frustrating player we've watched in some time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well said Scarey. Didn't it take him like 6 years to hit a sacrifice fly? It's something like that.

And as Coach has posted about a few times, Dunn doesn't even like playing baseball. He has an awful attitude about the game. It's the reason why J.P. Riccardi, the Blue Jays GM, said this:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->On Wednesday night, a caller to Ricciardi's radio show suggested that a deal for Dunn might help the struggling Toronto offense, and Ricciardi responded bluntly. "Do you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much?" Ricciardi said. "Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

"There's a reason why you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that defense people are worried about with Ibanez in RF, well then you should be absolutely shitting your pants over the idea of Dunn out there. If this guy got more than 2 hits in a playoff series I'd be stunned. Good pitchers bearing down when it matters will make him look awful in October, just like they do with Soriano.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1823:date=Dec 6 2008, 07:10 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 6 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's Soriano with an eye and no speed. If we did not have Soriano he would be a decent fit, but there is not enough room for them both to be on the same team without a DH.

I am now sure that I want Peavy, Bradley and Lopez. And get the regular season started.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be an excellent off season for us. Do you want Lopez just for a Cedeno replacement?