Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Crap, ARod Tested Positive for Steroids!
Put me with anyone else that says Meh about this. It doesn't surprise me and I am really getting tired of hearing about steroids. It was in the game, we all know it. Nothing can be changed about the past so why keep bringing it up. If the testing is working now that is all that should matter.

As Plummer said (I think)...if the majority of the league was juicing, then technically it was a level playing field.
What's interesting too is while I always assumed most of these guys were using I always thought it was more the HGH type stuff to where deep down they knew it was illegal but it wasn't technically against the rules.

But now both Bonds and A-Rod have positives for anabolic steroids. No new designer stuff here. Just good, old fashioned, banned for decades roids..
<!--quoteo(post=16636:date=Feb 7 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Feb 7 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Put me with anyone else that says Meh about this. It doesn't surprise me and I am really getting tired of hearing about steroids. It was in the game, we all know it. Nothing can be changed about the past so why keep bringing it up. If the testing is working now that is all that should matter.

As Plummer said (I think)...if the majority of the league was juicing, then technically it was a level playing field.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Baseball is the sport where history and records matter the most. If those records were broken by cheaters then it should be exposed.

When Sammy broke the single season HR record, he was both juicing and corking his bat. Should we not care? Should we not say anything? Who gives a fuck if alot of players were doing it. Alot of people do heroin, should people not get arrested for it because alot of people are doing it?

"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=16638:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:29 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 7 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16636:date=Feb 7 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Feb 7 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Put me with anyone else that says Meh about this. It doesn't surprise me and I am really getting tired of hearing about steroids. It was in the game, we all know it. Nothing can be changed about the past so why keep bringing it up. If the testing is working now that is all that should matter.

As Plummer said (I think)...if the majority of the league was juicing, then technically it was a level playing field.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Baseball is the sport where history and records matter the most. If those records were broken by cheaters then it should be exposed.

When Sammy broke the single season HR record, he was both juicing and corking his bat. Should we not care? Should we not say anything? Who gives a fuck if alot of players were doing it. Alot of people do heroin, should people not get arrested for it because alot of people are doing it?

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which season are you talking about, and which single season HR record?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
If this is true, then I will take back every defense of a ARod that I have ever made...
<!--quoteo(post=16639:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:14 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 7 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16638:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:29 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 7 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16636:date=Feb 7 2009, 02:24 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Feb 7 2009, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Put me with anyone else that says Meh about this. It doesn't surprise me and I am really getting tired of hearing about steroids. It was in the game, we all know it. Nothing can be changed about the past so why keep bringing it up. If the testing is working now that is all that should matter.

Which season are you talking about, and which single season HR record?

66 in '98 I think. He did break the record right? If not then I'm just a plain old moran.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
He hit 66 in '98 but McGwire hit 70 that year.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=16643:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He hit 66 in '98 but McGwire hit 70 that year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I knew that I just meant that he had broken the previous mark. I guess I could've worded it differently.

- Butcher
Sosa did break the Cub's record of 56, by Hack Wilson.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I wouldn't doubt it if back in the days of Babe & Maris if they were not poppin pills too.
<!--quoteo(post=16647:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:38 PM:name=wcplummer)-->QUOTE (wcplummer @ Feb 7 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't doubt it if back in the days of Babe & Maris if they were not poppin pills too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
booze, cigars, and bitches.

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=16647:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:38 PM:name=wcplummer)-->QUOTE (wcplummer @ Feb 7 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I wouldn't doubt it if back in the days of Babe & Maris if they were not poppin pills too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They were. Sport players have been looking for that "edge" since day one.
Even as a kid, I'd heard about ballplayers taking "greenie" amphetamines. I recall reading a Sports Illustrated article about Rod Carew that said he drank 32 Cokes every game. (not illegal, but so weird that you'd have to say that caffeinated stimulation was considered pretty important). Gaylord Perry and Don Sutton are in the HOF despite completely obvious cheating.

I'm not saying this to absolve the steroid cheats. I hate what they did. I just don't know where exactly to draw the line.
Almost every baseball historian who knows anything about Babe Ruth has speculated that it's about 99.9% certain that, had steroids been available in the '20's, Ruth would have done them. He poured anything and everything into his body, had zero moral guilt, and was always desperately looking for an edge.

Ty Cobb, in his autobiography, freely admitted doing every kind of small cheat he could get away with, and insinuated that you're a sucker if you don't try to glean an edge over your opponent. And, is there anyone on the planet who doesn't believe that Pete Rose wouldn't have embraced <i>anything</i> that could have delayed his retirement for a few years?

Still, it's a tough situation for a fan. Sosa and A-Rod were 2 of my very favorite players, but honestly, they're not anymore.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=16645:date=Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16643:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He hit 66 in '98 but McGwire hit 70 that year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I knew that I just meant that he had broken the previous mark. I guess I could've worded it differently.
Wasn't sure if you meant that, or what Kb said, the Cubs' single season record. Wasn't bustin' your balls, was just confused.

Now that I'm clear, I can make the point I was gonna make: I highly, highly doubt Sosa was using a corked bat in 1998.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=16651:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:54 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 7 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16645:date=Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16643:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He hit 66 in '98 but McGwire hit 70 that year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wasn't sure if you meant that, or what Kb said, the Cubs' single season record. Wasn't bustin' your balls, was just confused.

Now that I'm clear, I can make the point I was gonna make: I highly, highly doubt Sosa was using a corked bat in 1998.
Me too. But I'm pretty certain someone was injecting him with something.
<!--quoteo(post=16652:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:56 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Feb 7 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16651:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:54 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Feb 7 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16645:date=Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 7 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16643:date=Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM:name=Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid @ Feb 7 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He hit 66 in '98 but McGwire hit 70 that year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too. But I'm pretty certain someone was injecting him with something.
KB...Maris smoked five packs a day, and Babe drank constantly.

The first real influx of drugs came with amphetamines during the late 60's.