Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
That's a good fucking question, Butchie...
Thank you.
Bye Hector.

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/stat...5889226882
Couldn’t they do a better job of a salary dump than DFAing Neris prior to vesting option securing next season contract?
(08-20-2024, 10:39 AM)rok Wrote: Bye Hector.

https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/stat...5889226882

Thank god.
(08-20-2024, 11:20 AM)1060Ivy Wrote: Couldn’t they do a better job of a salary dump than DFAing Neris prior to vesting option securing next season contract?

Is this a trick question?
(08-20-2024, 11:20 AM)1060Ivy Wrote: Couldn’t they do a better job of a salary dump than DFAing Neris prior to vesting option securing next season contract?

Like trade him at the deadline for something?
My understanding is that Cubs let teams know that Neris was available at deadline but teams weren’t interested. Unfortunately, wasn’t aware of that nugget prior to writing comment on salary dump. Was referring to 2025 salary/roster as thought that Nero’s needed less than 10 games to hit his vesting option rather than 14 more games.

Guessing some playoff bound team will sign him for veteran bullpen duty and in exCub fashion will either pitch lights out or shit the bed
Those 24 hours when we were back to .500 were pretty cool.
Clearly the pressure of being a 500 team is just too much for this club
Smyly on the waiver wire

Guessing that the Cubs are looking to save $ in attempt to get under luxury cap or just save cash.

Maybe Smyly just wanted an opportunity to sign on with a playoff run for next month or had enough of the Cubs
Unless some other team wants to pay Smyly $2M for a little over 1 month of mediocrity plus his $2.5M buyout, I doubt he’s going anywhere.
Cubs are not planning to release Smyly if he clears waivers

Guessing Cubs are on hook for salary for this season and teams get him for minimum for remainder of season if Cubs waive him

He’s a veteran lefty that’s productive when healthy coming off the IR would venture there’s a structure of a deal in place for him with a team in playoff hunt. Yup, my decades of GM experience with numerous MLB clubs tells me…Ha
What a stretch. At least even a shitty season can have some enjoyable highs, and give us something to look forward to for the future.

I'm looking forward to PCA leading off eventually, having his speed on early causing as many disruptions as possible.
3 GB of the last wild card spot. This season isn’t over.