Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
I don't even know what Hoyer should do at this point. He's basically assembled the baseball version of the Bulls. Good enough to be mediocre, but no clear path to improvement.
The Bulls had a clear path to winning that was destroyed when Mello’s knee acted up and a meniscus surgery turned into a multi-year career threatening / career prolonging drama which continues to this day. Bulls are simultaneously far from competitive while at times far from mediocre. They do have interesting talent

Cubs have a handful of pieces which should be able to be competitive in NL Central. They have enough talent but have been hit by injuries that have exposed the weaknesses of roster and approach
(06-13-2024, 11:10 AM)1060Ivy Wrote: The Bulls had a clear path to winning that was destroyed when Mello’s knee acted up and a meniscus surgery turned into a multi-year career threatening / career prolonging drama which continues to this day. Bulls are simultaneously far from competitive while at times far from mediocre.  They do have interesting talent

Cubs have a handful of pieces which should be able to be competitive in NL Central. They have enough talent but have been hit by injuries that have exposed the weaknesses of roster and approach

You mean D Rose, right? Just making sure I didn't just wake up in a different timeline in the simulation.
I think he's talking about Lonzo Ball, maybe?
(06-13-2024, 04:20 PM)Butcher Wrote: I think he's talking about Lonzo Ball, maybe?

Oh right. That makes more sense as his brother is LaMelo. My initial thought was he was mixing D Rose with Carmelo Anthony lol.

Pretty crazy the number of major knee injuries that have decimated the Bulls over the years...
Sorry got my Balls mixed up. Completely stopped following Bulls after disgust with Lonzo Ball’s injury updates became nonsensical.

Bulls seemed primed for a run in 2021-2022 season with a solid roster and beating the crap out of most teams prior to Lonzo getting knee surgery for meniscus tear. Meniscus tears can be very painful and lead to loss of strength, flexibility, even quickness. Typically, athletes will have meniscus trimmed or portions removed if they require surgery during season. Or wait for offseason to repair tears which can be very painful but not career ending. Lonzo decided to repair during season and talk was that he might be able to return for playoffs that year. Bulls are still awaiting his return

What’s sad regarding case was his father’s - LaVar Ball’s - insistence that his injuries and poor care by team doctors wrecked his career. LaVar’s view of his abilities “greater than Jordan” and career likely influenced Lonzo’s choices.

My understanding is that Bulls have been supportive of Lonzo but rumor was that staff could not determine why pains persisted after initial surgeries.
(06-13-2024, 08:12 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: Sorry got my Balls mixed up.

You definitely don't want to get those twisted. Take it from Felix Pie: Testicular torsion is a bitch. He was never the same after that...
The last place Chicago Cubs. Something tells me this isn't just a temporary thing.
Wow Cubs DFAd Yan Gomes

He has been struggling offensively ridiculously and seemingly no chance of throwing out runners but the guy managed pitch staff well

He seemed to be able to come through last year with key hits at the right time but that magic seemed to disappear around mid August last year so …

Tomas Nido who Mets DFAd earlier this week will be on Cubs roster

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2024/0...tomas-nido
Gomes was pretty clutch last year. Sad to see him go, but 37 is pretty old, especially for a catcher.
Clearly the issue is fans’ expectations. No clue why fans would expect team to win consistently after years out focus on “sustained success” BS as rationalization for not acquiring/spending on top tier free agents by owners and management.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2024/0...m-ricketts
Wow, didn’t realize that Rick Morrissey still had a job.
Sure wish we had these guys in our bullpen….

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jeremiah-est...-a-killer/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/playe...br01.shtml
For sure, but you wonder if the cubs coaching staff could unlock what they are now.
They seem to mess up a lot in developing their own young pitching talent (bullpen in particular) but somehow manage to unlock veteran RP potential. That's a strange hallmark of this organization.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk