Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote:I know Moncada was the number one prospect in baseball, and Kopech was high up there too...but I feel like the package we gave up for Quintana is pretty similar to that of Sale.  Downside is that Sale is a douche...but man...

How much was left on Sale's contract when that trade went down?
A couple years I believe?  Don't quote me...he was under control as well.

Looks like five year extension in 2013 with a two year team option.

I want so badly for Quintana to be good and every so often he has an outing that makes me think that he's about to rattle off 4-5 great starts in a row. But then he goes back to being average.

It's really too bad we gave up our best prospect for him.

I can't even imagine how much more the Sox demanded from us for Sale instead of Quintana, but at least he has been a clear #1. That said, Sale was just sidelined with shoulder inflammation, so it's possible that we would be crying about that trade right now as well.
Quote:I can't even imagine how much more the Sox demanded from us for Sale instead of Quintana, but at least he has been a clear #1. That said, Sale was just sidelined with shoulder inflammation, so it's possible that we would be crying about that trade right now as well.

I don't know. Sale has been worth 12.4 WAR for the Red Sox since that trade. Quintana has been worth 2.1 WAR.
Quote:I want so badly for Quintana to be good and every so often he has an outing that makes me think that he's about to rattle off 4-5 great starts in a row. But then he goes back to being average.

I want Quintana to be at least a 3, but he doesnt amount to that, at least not this year. Lets hope he turns a corner, not looking like he was worth our best prospect. We shall see soon enough.
Definitely not worth it by any metric. Sale would have been, but was just pointing out that he is an injury risk.
Quote:Definitely not worth it by any metric. Sale would have been, but was just pointing out that he is an injury risk.

Yeah Im actually surprised he hasnt been injured before with his narrow frame and violent delivery.
Things trending up for our young pitchers down in AA. Not exactly impressive K numbers, but that WHIP of 0.73 is still nice to see. Iowa should be fun to follow next year.

https://twitter.com/mj_ernst/status/1030411235282624512
Paul Richan has been pretty good.

Quote:I want so badly for Quintana to be good and every so often he has an outing that makes me think that he's about to rattle off 4-5 great starts in a row. But then he goes back to being average.

I don't think he's made to have 5 good consecutive starts.

When he's on, he's really good, but that's like 1 in 3, on a good month.

I'm judging from a small sample size, the time he's been with us, but fuck I wish he had a slider to go along with his fastball/curve.

I really want to like the guy so I'll just think of him as a decent #5 and try to forget who we gave up for him.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Butcher" data-cid="334547" data-time="1533159501">
<div>
I want so badly for Quintana to be good and every so often he has an outing that makes me think that he's about to rattle off 4-5 great starts in a row. But then he goes back to being average.

I don't think he's made to have 5 good consecutive starts.

When he's on, he's really good, but that's like 1 in 3, on a good month.

I'm judging from a small sample size, the time he's been with us, but fuck I wish he had a slider to go along with his fastball/curve.

I really want to like the guy so I'll just think of him as a decent #5 and try to forget who we gave up for him.

</div>
</blockquote>
To be fair, 5 consecutive good starts would be a lot to ask even from Clayton Kershaw. For me, it's more of a lack of middle ground. When he's off, he's fucking garbage. As in, not sure if he's going to make it past the second inning. That's really the hallmark of a top of the rotation guy, being able to keep your team in the game even when you're off.
Obviously I haven't paid much attention to our farm system this year, because I just noticed we don't have a minor league team (AAA -> Low A) above 500.  

I got nothin'.

Andy
Coming to Iowa!

[Image: 3e37cc51f68503c46ce724769905de80.jpg]