Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
As long as the high rate of strikeouts continue, Bryant (and Baez, for that matter) will be moved down a couple of rungs on the prospect ladder.

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Yeah, I don't know if that's a legit reason to keep people down in their rankings.  Miguel Sano strikes out every bit as much as those two do, yet you still saw him in the top 3 of every ranking for the last three years.  I don't think anyone would argue that B&B don't have almost as much, if not as much, power potential as Sano.

Btw..back to Shark...man it would suck to lose him, but sure wouldn't mind seeing what we could do with a post TJS Bundy.

Remember that Keith Law has his ways too. 

Buxton is No. 1 for sure. Archie Bradley, Carlos Correa, Gregory Polanco, Oscar Taveras probably up there. 

@TheBlogfines
What's Bradley's deal again?  What injury has been bothering him, do you remember?

My guess is he has Buxton and Polanco 1&2.

Quote:Yeah, I don't know if that's a legit reason to keep people down in their rankings.  Miguel Sano strikes out every bit as much as those two do, yet you still saw him in the top 3 of every ranking for the last three years.  I don't think anyone would argue that B&B don't have almost as much, if not as much, power potential as Sano.

Fair point, although Sano is younger than either Baez or Bryant--and has a far better walk rate than the former. Really, though, we're talking about the difference of a few slots.
--Veryzer

Stolen from NSBB (and our old buddy wekim specifically), Law's top 5:

Quote: 

Buxton, Correa, Polanco, Taveras, Russell.
@TheBlogfines
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="220678" data-time="1401471303">
<div>
Yeah, I don't know if that's a legit reason to keep people down in their rankings.  Miguel Sano strikes out every bit as much as those two do, yet you still saw him in the top 3 of every ranking for the last three years.  I don't think anyone would argue that B&B don't have almost as much, if not as much, power potential as Sano.

Fair point, although Sano is younger than either Baez or Bryant--and has a far better walk rate than the former. Really, though, we're talking about the difference of a few slots.

</div>
</blockquote>

Sano is also going to be recovering from Tommy John for a while and is unlikely to be the defender either Baez or Bryant are. And especially in Baez's case the value is higher while Baez is a middle infielder. I think most executives would take Baez and Bryant over Sano at the moment.
@TheBlogfines
Also stolen from NSBB, Law's write-ups on Bryant (who went from 15th to 8th) and Baez (7th to 9th... which certainly isn't a bad dropoff considering his early struggles and k rate):

Quote:8. Kris Bryant | 3B | Chicago Cubs (age 22)
Current level: Double-A (Tennessee)
Preseason ranking: 15

Aside from a high strikeout rate (more than 25 percent of his plate appearances), Bryant's season so far is unimpeachable, as he's walking, hitting for average, hitting for huge power and improving the second time around the league. We'll have to see what happens to that contact rate when he gets to Triple-A, though.

9. Javier Baez | SS | Chicago Cubs (age 21)
Current level: Triple-A (Iowa)
Preseason ranking: 7

Speaking of Cubs who don't make enough contact in Triple-A, here's Baez, owner of the fastest bat in the minors, striking out in a third of his plate appearances so far this year for Iowa.

When he does square the ball up, he hits it hard, but he's got work to do to make more contact, especially cutting down on his aggressiveness with two strikes, before he's ready to come up and take over any position in Chicago.

@TheBlogfines
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="VanSlawAndCottoCheese" data-cid="220683" data-time="1401471839">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="funkster" data-cid="220678" data-time="1401471303">
<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

Sano is also going to be recovering from Tommy John for a while and is unlikely to be the defender either Baez or Bryant are. And especially in Baez's case the value is higher while Baez is a middle infielder. I think most executives would take Baez and Bryant over Sano at the moment.

</div>
</blockquote>

I agree. I was just coming up with possible justifications for his past high rankings.
--Veryzer

Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Clapp" data-cid="220685" data-time="1401472013">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="VanSlawAndCottoCheese" data-cid="220683" data-time="1401471839">
<div>

<div>

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>

I agree. I was just coming up with possible justifications for his past high rankings.

</div>
</blockquote>
Gotcha
@TheBlogfines
Shark seems have moved on, but you never know.

And I don't mind the list makers being conservative with our prospects. Every time one of ours ends up in a top 10 or 25 list, I start to get ahead of myself. We're going to be disappointed by a large % if these kids, so time to brace myself for that reality.
I think Law's write ups on our two are pretty fair.

Looks like Russell has only played in a few games so far.  Also looks like he was in AAA last year and back to AA this year.  Interesting.

I sure can't wait until Iowa leaves Memphis.  Its fucking worse than Daytona.

Quote:I sure can't wait until Iowa leaves Memphis.  Its fucking worse than Daytona.

How can you say that? Didn't you listen to that Memphis tourism guy last night?
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
He failed to mention how well hydrated their lawns are.