Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Soler tweaked his hamstring... again. God dammit.

@TheBlogfines
Quote:Soler tweaked his hamstring... again. God dammit.

Fuck, why can't we have nice things?

Seriously, we get a world class front office, renovations drag on FOREVER.

We get some top-10 prospects, they can't get their K rates under 25%.

We sign an IFA that is worth a damn, he can't stay healthy.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.
Check it out as I hilariously fail at Cubs blogging.

www.friendly-confines.com
But back to Baez, I figured he'd run into some troubles with AAA pitching for at least a bit. This much? No. But let's see where he is in a few weeks. I think this stretch will end up being a good thing for him in the end. 

I've seen probably 30 of these at-bats on MiLB.TV and it's just him coming out of his shoes constantly and AAA pitchers realizing that. In AA, he saw pitchers with every bit the stuff at AAA, but they don't execute secondary pitches as well and execute their plan as well. I think he'll learn from this (eventually at least), and start laying off some of these breaking balls out of the zone. 

But it's definitely frustrating when we were all hoping to see him up by July or so.

@TheBlogfines
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Clapp" data-cid="219074" data-time="1400215718">
<div>
Soler tweaked his hamstring... again. God dammit.

Fuck, why can't we have nice things?

Seriously, we get a world class front office, renovations drag on FOREVER.

We get some top-10 prospects, they can't get their K rates under 25%.

We sign an IFA that is worth a damn, he can't stay healthy.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK.

</div>
</blockquote>

It really really sucks with him after he finally is playing, and is actually kicking ass... now probably another couple weeks on the shelf. And who knows if this is a chronic issue or something at this point. They've been extra cautious, he's looked 100%, and then boom, hurt again.
@TheBlogfines
Quote:But back to Baez, I figured he'd run into some troubles with AAA pitching for at least a bit. This much? No. But let's see where he is in a few weeks. I think this stretch will end up being a good thing for him in the end. 

I've seen probably 30 of these at-bats on MiLB.TV and it's just him coming out of his shoes constantly and AAA pitchers realizing that. In AA, he saw pitchers with every bit the stuff at AAA, but they don't execute secondary pitches as well and execute their plan as well. I think he'll learn from this (eventually at least), and start laying off some of these breaking balls out of the zone. 

But it's definitely frustrating when we were all hoping to see him up by July or so.

The night is darkest before the dawn...right?

:nuts:

Let's not forget that Baez is the youngest player in AAA.

If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Quote:Let's not forget that Baez is the youngest player in AAA.

I am not worried about him yet. Of course whether I worry or not won't make a difference so I may stay not worried. Prospects will break your heart right? And Baez is a high risk prospect. If he makes an impact at the major league level for the Cubs I will be pleasantly surprised.
"Gravity keeps my head down or is it maybe shame at being so young and being so vain."
Quote:Let's not forget that Baez is the youngest player in AAA.

This is very true; however, I would think that struggles at AAA lower his ceiling a bit.  Or at least the liklihood that he reaches it.

Now, I'm not really freaking out too bad, yet.  The time I did get to see him he appeared a bit too amped up to swing the bat.  If that's the case, I buy into the "approach" issues that everyone has cited for the past year a bit more. 

Let's also not forget that Baez was a Hendry draft pick. Last word.
Quote:Let's also not forget that Baez was a Hendry draft pick. Last word.

EXACTLY!  He is GARBAGE!

Quote:But back to Baez, I figured he'd run into some troubles with AAA pitching for at least a bit. This much? No. But let's see where he is in a few weeks. I think this stretch will end up being a good thing for him in the end. 

He had these same issues at Daytona when I saw him there.  I like that he's in Iowa and is going to get a steady diet of off speed and breaking stuff, because he was never going to make the adjustments at the lower levels where he was able to dominate despite his shortcomings.  This is his crucible, and he's got to go through this to become the player we hope he can be.

Maybe it's too early to try and speculate if there are any "other" factors troubling Baez, but I wonder if he has ever played in cold weather climates before. It's been absolutely cold here in the midwest and every time the I-Cubs are home the temps have been as much as 20 degrees below average. I can't believe that the I-Cubs played yesterday it was pouring from 3pm-4pm and cold and blustery. Today when the temps should be in the 70's it just reached 50. Not sure if this is even a factor but the cold is sure getting to me.   

Iowa announcer talked about how much Javy is making an effort to stay on the ball and go to right field in BP... then he steps in the box and his stance is clearly more closed than I've ever seen it (the announcer soon noticed as well). His left foot is now clearly closer to the plate than his right. 

Anyway, first AB he hit the ball hard but the opposing third baseman (it actually may be Donnie Murphy) made a really nice diving play to start a double play. Good swing though. 

@TheBlogfines
Quote:Maybe it's too early to try and speculate if there are any "other" factors troubling Baez, but I wonder if he has ever played in cold weather climates before. It's been absolutely cold here in the midwest and every time the I-Cubs are home the temps have been as much as 20 degrees below average. I can't believe that the I-Cubs played yesterday it was pouring from 3pm-4pm and cold and blustery. Today when the temps should be in the 70's it just reached 50. Not sure if this is even a factor but the cold is sure getting to me.   
He has many "other" factors that don't include cold weather, but include his mental makeup.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
He didn't strike out once last night!!!

That's a start...
Signature.