Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
I don't care about nostalgia.  I think the NL style of play is much more interesting.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kid" data-cid="208639" data-time="1377013544">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="CubbieBlues" data-cid="208636" data-time="1377012358">
<div>
By the time 2016 roles around hopefully we will have the DH
Blasphemer.

</div>
</blockquote>
I used to be against the DH too. Now I don't care anymore. My reasoning was based on nostalgia. Now I just want the leagues to be the same. With offense being depressed so much as it is, the DH may be an easy route for improvement.

</div>
</blockquote>
Quit making my points for me (another words I completely agree).

Also, it comes down to competitive balance in team structuring. When facing off with an AL team or in FA with a Fielder type or even with Vogs, the NL teams are at a disadvantage. 10 years ago it would have been great to have been able to bid on Ortiz, but that was an impossibility because of the liability at 1B.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
I would hope Baez, Almora, Bryant, Soler, and Vogelbach all have at least a cup of coffee in the majors by the end of 2015.  I don't know if it will happen, but I sincerely hope so. 

I think the only SP (from our farm system) we'll have by that time is Pierce(d) Johnson. 

I got nothin'.

Andy
Vizcaino (I'll call him our farm now), Baker (resigned) and Fujikawa (closer) will hopefully be up.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
I still hate the DH.

Quote:I still hate the DH.

Ok. Why? And do you see value in both leagues having the same rule? 
The average production from the DH spot has been declining badly since the steroid era. I never liked it then, and I hate it even more now.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jstraw" data-cid="208648" data-time="1377017674">
<div>
I still hate the DH.

</div>
</blockquote>

I would like both leagues to have the same rule: All position players bat.
I just want to drink beer and play atari
Since 2006 (min. 150 PA), the 50th best season from the DH position using WAR is Jim Thome with 1.9 WAR. That is still pretty good. 50th best wRC+ is Billy Butler with 139 wRC+. Once a gain pretty good.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="208649" data-time="1377018007">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jstraw" data-cid="208648" data-time="1377017674">
<div>
I still hate the DH.

</div>
</blockquote>
I would like both leagues to have the same rule: All position players bat.

</div>
</blockquote>
That will never happen. The players union won't allow it because it extends the carriers of some of the players. So, since we will never be able to get rid of it, the next best thing is to embrace it in the NL as well.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Nah.  To the extent it influences interleague games, it will affect everybody.  So while the NL could conceivably do slightly worse in interleague games by playing a bench player instead of a true DH, it doesn't matter because everybody has to deal with it.

Let's say that on average each NL team loses 1 more interleague game than they would have (there's no way it has anything close to that big of an impact), so what?  Playoff seeding is determined on the record within your own league and record doesn't control home field advantage in the World Series.

If anything, it hurts the AL when it comes to the draft since that's the one thing where teams from both leagues are seeded together according to record.

As far as the World Series goes, there have been a total of 31 World Series played using a DH for at least some games.*  The AL team is 16-15 in those Series, and that includes the Yankees team that won 4 Series in 5 years.

* - From 1976-85, the DH was used for the entire series in even-numbered years.  Starting in 1986, they went to the current format of using the DH at the games hosted by the AL team.

This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
The World Series and FA is the big thing to me and from the sample size of the World Series results, it is too small to determine anything.

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Average OPS of Full Time DH's by Year:

2005 0.821615

2006 0.821692

2007 0.811385

2008 0.768267

2009 0.749313

2010 0.737688

2011 0.710143

2012 0.677125

2013 0.748250

It isn't as bad as I thought, but it does appear that teams are not as willing to throw around as much money to one-dimensional players as in years past.
Quote: 

<div>
I still hate the DH.

</div>
</blockquote>
I like managers having to make a decision about leaving in a pitcher that's throwing well, in favor of offense. I like that that can be a decision with consequences. I don't have a hard on for more offense in baseball just for the sake of higher game scores. I like baseball to be interesting with difficult choices for managers. I'd rather have the right rule in one (my) league than the wrong rule in both leagues. To me, the only challenge is how to work interleague play and in the end, that will mean the NL gets the DH...I'm resigned to that. I don't have top like it. I also hate interleague play...probably more than I hate the DH.
Quote:Average OPS of Full Time DH's by Year:

2005 0.821615

2006 0.821692

2007 0.811385

2008 0.768267

2009 0.749313

2010 0.737688

2011 0.710143

2012 0.677125

2013 0.748250

It isn't as bad as I thought, but it does appear that teams are not as willing to throw around as much money to one-dimensional players as in years past.

I don't think you can properly draw that conclusion unless you consider similar analysis for other hitters. Offense is down across the board the last several years.