Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
Quote: 

In this game, Alcantara's stat line was 0-0, 3BB, 2R, 0K...I love it!

I'm starting to get a little gitty with the talent the Cubs have in the their system.

I just want to drink beer and play atari
What I like best about Vogs is his ability to be patient at the plate a take pitches. He draws a good amount of walks for a person who's known as a power hitter.

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if Baez will need to remain at SS to replace Castro and Vogelbach will play 1B and replace Rizzo. Both Castro and Rizzo have had terrible seasons and have regressed significantly. Two years from now I could see this awesome offensive and terrible defensive lineup taking the field.

2 - Castillo

3 - Vogelbach

4 - Alcantara

5 - Bryant

6 - Baez

7 - Some awesome FA like Giancarlo Stanton

8 - Lake

9 - Soler

And no, that's not the batting order. Rizzo could turn into the LH side of a platoon (I wonder if he could play LF). Castro could be traded or used as a utility IF. Maybe I'm overreacting, but both have been quite bad this year. 

Quote:At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if Baez will need to remain at SS to replace Castro and Vogelbach will play 1B and replace Rizzo. Both Castro and Rizzo have had terrible seasons and have regressed significantly. Two years from now I could see this awesome offensive and terrible defensive lineup taking the field.

2 - Castillo

3 - Vogelbach

4 - Alcantara

5 - Bryant

6 - Baez

8 - Lake

9 - Soler

And no, that's not the batting order. Rizzo could turn into the LH side of a platoon (I wonder if he could play LF). Castro could be traded or used as a utility IF. Maybe I'm overreacting, but both have been quite bad this year. 

I like Almora's chances making it as our center fielder. He's done no wrong in the minors thus far....except getting hurt.
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="208174" data-time="1376575305">
<div>
At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if Baez will need to remain at SS to replace Castro and Vogelbach will play 1B and replace Rizzo. Both Castro and Rizzo have had terrible seasons and have regressed significantly. Two years from now I could see this awesome offensive and terrible defensive lineup taking the field.

2 - Castillo

3 - Vogelbach

4 - Alcantara

5 - Bryant

6 - Baez

8 - Lake

9 - Soler

I like Almora's chances making it as our center fielder. He's done no wrong in the minors thus far....except getting hurt.

</div>
</blockquote>
Somehow I forgot about him. Redo:

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">2 - Castillo

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">3 - Vogelbach

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">4 - Alcantara

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">5 - Bryant

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">6 - Baez

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">7 - Some awesome FA like Giancarlo Stanton

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">8 - Almora

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">9 - Soler

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">Subs: Lake, Castro, Rizzo  (if he can fake the OF as well as 1B)

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);">And yes, I realize this is all dreamy and shit. If half of it happens I would be thrilled. 

Quote:At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if Baez will need to remain at SS to replace Castro and Vogelbach will play 1B and replace Rizzo. Both Castro and Rizzo have had terrible seasons and have regressed significantly. Two years from now I could see this awesome offensive and terrible defensive lineup taking the field.

2 - Castillo

3 - Vogelbach

4 - Alcantara

5 - Bryant

6 - Baez

8 - Lake

9 - Soler

Would be ecstatic if 3 of those prospects make meaningful contributions as Cubs for 2015 or if 5 for 2016.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but Cubs have a history of overhyping prospects and minimal success with developing prospects.  Yeah, that was the Tribune era and the minor leagues have been revamped but I've heard that approach before with MacPhail and Hendry so I'll believe it when I see prospects regularly develop to productive MLB players.
This FO already has a track record in drafting and player development from Boston and SD. Are you denying that? It's not as though they were dropped in from Pluto.
Besides Rizzo's depressed BABIP, his numbers look pretty good this year. Once it regresses to the mean his average will come back up. Over 50% of his hits are xbh.

"It's not the dress that makes you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat." - Al Bundy

"Ow" - Dylan Bundy
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Coldneck" data-cid="208174" data-time="1376575305">
<div>

2 - Castillo

3 - Vogelbach

4 - Alcantara

5 - Bryant

6 - Baez

8 - Lake

9 - Soler

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but Cubs have a history of overhyping prospects and minimal success with developing prospects.  

</div>
</blockquote>
Who have THE CUBS overhyped this year?  Most of these guys are being raved about by outside observers.  So you're telling me simply because Theo/Jed/McLeod now work for the Cubs, they will automatically begin overhyping prospects simply because its now in their nature?

Quote: 

<div>

2 - Castillo

3 - Vogelbach

4 - Alcantara

5 - Bryant

6 - Baez

8 - Lake

9 - Soler

Would be ecstatic if 3 of those prospects make meaningful contributions as Cubs for 2015 or if 5 for 2016.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but Cubs have a history of overhyping prospects and minimal success with developing prospects.  Yeah, that was the Tribune era and the minor leagues have been revamped but I've heard that approach before with MacPhail and Hendry so I'll believe it when I see prospects regularly develop to productive MLB players.

</div>
</blockquote>

This time around is a little different. The FO cares about depth in the minors leagues. In the past, the hype has been over 1 or 2 prospects, and that's all you'd hear about, and they'd bomb out or just be average players. I think the system is deeper now than it's ever been, at least in my lifetime. If 3 of those prospects pan out, that's going to be something that hasn't happened with the Cubs in a long time--(maybe the late 80s with Maddux, Palmeiro, etc. or the 60s with Santo and Williams, et al.)  
I'd highly doubt that every one of those guys pans out, but even if 2 or 3 do, that's a very positive step.  And if that's true, this FO in 2 years will have done what the previous 20 years of FO's hasn't been able to do.  I would say that's a huge success.

I got nothin'.

Andy
Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="208178" data-time="1376578586">
This FO already has a track record in drafting and player development from Boston and SD. Are you denying that? It's not as though they were dropped in from Pluto.
Never denied FO's record of finding and developing prospects but doubt that anyone in FO believes that in 2 years Cubs prospects will field 8 of 9 positions for a competitive Cubs team.

As I stated if 2 of those spots are filled by prospects it should be considered a great success.</blockquote>

Quote:This FO already has a track record in drafting and player development from Boston and SD. Are you denying that? It's not as though they were dropped in from Pluto.
Never denied FO's record of finding and developing prospects but doubt that anyone in FO believes that in 2 years Cubs prospects will field 8 of 9 positions for a competitive Cubs team.

As I stated if 2 of those spots are filled by prospects it should be considered a great success.

Regarding hyping of prospects, we have more articles in papers regarding prospects than there were ever about previous prospects. May be due to explosion of content on Internet but how often do guys on this site now check on prospects or minor league games like they used to individual players on Cubs roster or Cub box scores. Much of this I would consider to be driven by organization so falls into the hype category for me
Quote:but doubt that anyone in FO believes that in 2 years Cubs prospects will field 8 of 9 positions for a competitive Cubs team.

Quote:Much of this I would consider to be driven by organization so falls into the hype category for me

Does not compute.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I don't think anyone is predicting 100% success. However, writing them off as equivalent to past clueless FO's we've had isn't fair either. I'm still on board until they prove otherwise.
That's your story and you're sticking to it.  

Law interviews McLeod.  Good stuff.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9568792