Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farm System
The strikeouts concern me.  It'd be fine if he was taking walks.

Baez 2-4 with a 2B and 3B no Ks.

Baez had a decent weekend. 4-12, 2R, 2B, 3B, RBI, BB, 0Ks

Much better

I just want to drink beer and play atari
Then there was today.  0-5 with 2Ks.  

The scary part is there were people actually wondering why he hadn't been promoted to the big league team after spring.  Yikes.

Quote:Then there was today.  0-5 with 2Ks.  

The scary part is there were people actually wondering why he hadn't been promoted to the big league team after spring.  Yikes.
For something really scary look at Brett Jackson's numbers:

.244 avg, 4BB, 15 Ks, 3 RBI's , 0 HR in 41 at bats. His OBP is .340 which is not bad considering his other numbers
Baez was mashing in ST, but anyone with a partially active brain cell could see that he was taking batting practice swings and not being selective at all in his approach. He is still too green. He has plenty of time to develop into a more polished player, but let's be honest. He is no sure thing.
And those K numbes aren't gonna cut it for Jackson. So much for the revamped swing.
It would be fine if he took walks and was hitting for power, but he clearly isn't.

Quote:And those K numbes aren't gonna cut it for Jackson. So much for the revamped swing.
With the amount of walks he takes if he gets his average up his OBP could be around .400 but he just cant put the ball in play, imo this is his last year to prove himself at this rate I don't see him making the team even as a 5th OF...
Quote: 

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="rok" data-cid="203332" data-time="1366083836">
<div>
And those K numbes aren't gonna cut it for Jackson. So much for the revamped swing.
With the amount of walks he takes if he gets his average up his OBP could be around .400 but he just cant put the ball in play, imo this is his last year to prove himself at this rate I don't see him making the team even as a 5th OF...

</div>
</blockquote>

This is an example of my biggest fear. I love the approach the Cubs are taking to rebuild this team, building within rather than overpaying for free agents.

However, (this may be the cynical Cubs fan in me talking but) god forbid if the young talent in our system isn't as promising as we think it is...I don't think I'll survive the fallout.

2015 seems a bit optimistic for me on when this team can turn it around. Unless Soler, Baez, Almora (and maybe Rizzo) are who we think they are. I'm still not seeing how our pitching is going to improve over the next couple of years...unless they bring in some FAs (which they will have to, eventually)

I just want to drink beer and play atari
I'd like to see a breakdown of the draft positions for all of the 150 current MLB rotation guys for whom the draft was in play. I think it would be quite telling. I'm guessing that there's no such thing as drafting pitchers well...only lucky and unlucky. It's such a crap shoot. The Cubs will absolutely have to buy pitching.

And I'm also a little worried about Rizzo. He's looking terrible at the plate. His BABIP is .167, so that will improve, but I'm still a little worried. 

I just ran and checked the calendar; you guys know it is still mid-April, right?

One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

This is why I hope we draft Appel. He could be your legit ace on the fast track (2015?).
Quote:I'd like to see a breakdown of the draft positions for all of the 150 current MLB rotation guys for whom the draft was in play. I think it would be quite telling. I'm guessing that there's no such thing as drafting pitchers well...only lucky and unlucky. It's such a crap shoot. The Cubs will absolutely have to buy pitching.

I've gone about half way there...

Of the current starting 5 on each MLB team (I included the signing year for international free agents, but did not include them in the numbers for Draft round and pick).

Median Draft/Sign Year:  2004

Median Draft Round: 2

Median Draft Pick: 67

Average Draft/Sign Year: ~2003-2004

Average Draft Round: 6

Average Draft Pick: 177

Earliest Draft/Sign Year: 1990 (Andy Pettitte - NYY)

Most Recent Signing: 2013 (Hyun-jin Ryu - LAD)

Lowest Draft Round: 1 (50 1st round picks)

Highest Draft Round: 41 (Brad Peacock - HOU)

Lowest Draft Pick: 1 (David Price & Stephen Strasburg)

Highest Draft Pick: 1231 (Brad Peacock - HOU)

Average #1 SP:

Average Draft/Sign Year: 2003

Average Draft Round: 3.25

Average Draft Pick: 87.5

Median Draft/Sign Year: 2003

Median Draft Round: 1.5

Median Draft Pick: 37.5

Earliest Draft/Sign Year: 1995 (Johan Santana - NYM, AJ Burnett - PIT)

Most Recent Signing: 2012 (Yu Darvish - TEX) - Drafted 2009 (Stephen Strasburg - WAS)

Lowest Draft Round: 1 (12 1st round picks)

Highest Draft Round: 16 (James Shields - KC)

Lowest Draft Pick: 1 (David Price & Stephen Strasburg)

Highest Draft Pick: 466 (James Shields - KC)
I got nothin'.

Andy