Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs sign Aaron Miles
<!--quoteo(post=7927:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:42 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Dec 31 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....sign-aaron.html

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs sign Aaron Miles; DeRosa likely gone

By Paul Sullivan

The Cubs signed switch-hitting infielder Aaron Miles to a two-year, $4.9 million deal on Wednesday, giving them a potential leadoff man to move Alfonso Soriano down in the lineup.

The 32-year-old Miles batted .317 in 134 games for St. Louis last year, and has a .289 career average and .329 on-base percentage. Though he’s spent much of his six-year career in the leadoff spot, Miles carries a .272 average and .305 on-base percentage in the top spot.

Major League sources say the addition of Miles means the Cubs are about to trade second baseman Mark DeRosa, who is in the final year of a three-year deal. General manager Jim Hendry was unavailable for comment.

In a statement on the Miles signing, Hendry said he gives them roster flexibility: “He handles the bat well from both sides of the plate and is a skillful middle infielder who has added third base and all three outfield positions to his repertoire during the last few years.”
Miles, who also played for the White Sox and Colorado, will earn $2.2 million in 2009 and $2.7 million in 2010. He has a .317 career average in day games, including a .392 average in day games in 2008.

DeRosa will be the odd man out, with Miles basically taking his job. The Cubs are expected to trade DeRosa for two or three prospects, and had listened to offers from Cleveland, Philadelphia, Minnesota and several other teams during the winter meetings.

How this effects Mike Fontenot remains to be seen. With the Cubs closing in on Milton Bradley for right and Miles replacing DeRosa at second, Fontenot is expected to get more playing time at shortstop, along with Ryan Theriot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fontenot at shortstop? This again?
<!--quoteo(post=7927:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:42 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Dec 31 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....sign-aaron.html

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs sign Aaron Miles; DeRosa likely gone

By Paul Sullivan

The Cubs signed switch-hitting infielder Aaron Miles to a two-year, $4.9 million deal on Wednesday, giving them a potential leadoff man to move Alfonso Soriano down in the lineup.

The 32-year-old Miles batted .317 in 134 games for St. Louis last year, and has a .289 career average and .329 on-base percentage. Though he’s spent much of his six-year career in the leadoff spot, Miles carries a .272 average and .305 on-base percentage in the top spot.

Major League sources say the addition of Miles means the Cubs are about to trade second baseman Mark DeRosa, who is in the final year of a three-year deal. General manager Jim Hendry was unavailable for comment.

In a statement on the Miles signing, Hendry said he gives them roster flexibility: “He handles the bat well from both sides of the plate and is a skillful middle infielder who has added third base and all three outfield positions to his repertoire during the last few years.”
Miles, who also played for the White Sox and Colorado, will earn $2.2 million in 2009 and $2.7 million in 2010. He has a .317 career average in day games, including a .392 average in day games in 2008.

DeRosa will be the odd man out, with Miles basically taking his job. The Cubs are expected to trade DeRosa for two or three prospects, and had listened to offers from Cleveland, Philadelphia, Minnesota and several other teams during the winter meetings.

How this effects Mike Fontenot remains to be seen. With the Cubs closing in on Milton Bradley for right and Miles replacing DeRosa at second, Fontenot is expected to get more playing time at shortstop, along with Ryan Theriot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm impressed that Sullivan was able to write an article without inserting a quip about Zambrano.
<!--quoteo(post=7931:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:44 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 31 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like signing Miles a lot. Love the way he plays the game, and I'm just glad he won't keep hitting .300 on the Cardinals. Plus I always respected him after I saw the story on espn years ago about him beating the crap out of some guys that had a gun to his face, Morgan Ensberg, and others. Tough little son of a bitch, we'll like him. Miles over Cedeno is fucking awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. He was a fan favorite in St. Louis too. A semi-Gabby moment here, but a girl a few years younger than me was in a bad car accident a couple of years ago. She was in one of the hospitals in St. Louis. Her favorite player was Miles and somehow he found out and he went over and visited her and hung out for a while.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm impressed that Sullivan was able to write an article without inserting a quip about Zambrano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm impressed Sullivan was able to get to work this morning without getting the shit beat out of him.
<!--quoteo(post=7940:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:48 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 31 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I'm impressed that Sullivan was able to write an article without inserting a quip about Zambrano.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm impressed Sullivan was able to get to work this morning without getting the shit beat out of him.

Who is going to waste any kind of energy just to look down at him and stomp on him?
Miles is "excited to show them(Cardinals) that they made a mistake in letting me go".
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs pursuit of Miles intensified the weekend after Christmas, and the entire deal hinged around the Cubs being able to deal second baseman/super utility fielder Mark DeRosa. When they completed that swap with Cleveland, they made their offer to Miles formal. The Cardinals entered at the 11th hour, and Miles said the offer was both a surprise and a complication. He spent many hours laboring over the decision. Miles said the offer from the Cardinals was a two-year deal and that the difference between it and the Cubs’ offer could have been $1 million. Several sources described the Cardinals’ offer as worth a total of around $4.3 million, or $600,000 less guaranteed than the Cubs’ contract.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->“In the end, I know I went with the team that wanted me more,” he concluded. “I’m sure of that.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.