Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs sign Aaron Miles
<!--quoteo(post=7854:date=Dec 31 2008, 11:55 AM:name=cigar)-->QUOTE (cigar @ Dec 31 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The moves or rumored moves that we have made so far have not bothered me to much. Of course all that depends if all the other rumored moves falls into place as well. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] If all of this leads us to landing Peavy and Bradley I have no problem with any of this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
yep
Life is a bitch, but she's totally doable.
<!--quoteo(post=7848:date=Dec 31 2008, 11:48 AM:name=HemisFear)-->QUOTE (HemisFear @ Dec 31 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wait, a guy who has a lifetime BA of .289 and hit .317 last year is a downgrade from DeRo if we land Peavy considering our offense last year meant ZIP to us in the playoffs?

Sorry guys, I'm not with you on this. Getting rid of a one of our above average bats to pick up one of the best pitchers in baseball does add up to me assuming that the two are correlated. I liked DeRo a lot as well, but if he's the linch pin to get Peavy, see ya later and hello Jake!

Keep one last thing in mind, the last time we won a playoff game, let alone a playoff series in 2003 it was because our pitching staff, NOT our offense was stellar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Batting average isn't everything. Other than 2008, his OBP was weak. And his slugging has always been weak. He isn't even close to DeRosa in terms of production.
<!--quoteo(post=7856:date=Dec 31 2008, 11:56 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 31 2008, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7848:date=Dec 31 2008, 11:48 AM:name=HemisFear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HemisFear @ Dec 31 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wait, a guy who has a lifetime BA of .289 and hit .317 last year is a downgrade from DeRo if we land Peavy considering our offense last year meant ZIP to us in the playoffs?

Sorry guys, I'm not with you on this. Getting rid of a one of our above average bats to pick up one of the best pitchers in baseball does add up to me assuming that the two are correlated. I liked DeRo a lot as well, but if he's the linch pin to get Peavy, see ya later and hello Jake!

Keep one last thing in mind, the last time we won a playoff game, let alone a playoff series in 2003 it was because our pitching staff, NOT our offense was stellar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Batting average isn't everything. Other than 2008, his OBP was weak. And his slugging has always been weak. He isn't even close to DeRosa in terms of production.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, and we'd be stuck with him for 2 years as opposed to 1 year of DeRosa.
http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2008...rk-di-rosa.html
As usual, you fuckers need to REFUCKINGLAX.

IF we are trading DeRosa, and that's still an IF, then all of you douchebags who are constantly pissing and moaning about trading a guy one year too late, can shove it up your skirts. I love DeRosa as much as the rest of you, but bear in mind the fact that he had his BEST SEASON EVER last year at the age of 33. He hit twice as many home runs as the year before, in 3 more at bats. He set career highs in OPB and SLG. He is turning 34 this year. He has only 1 year left on his contract. If there EVER was a good time to deal him, it's NOW. It's possible he does the same thing this year. It's not probable though.

Just trading him to trade him doesn't make a lot of sense. However, trading him in the bigger picture of landing Peavy is a no brainer.

And bitching and moaning because we just spent 2.5 million dollars on the 23rd man on our roster seems a bit over the top.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
What if these moves aren't leading to a bigger move, but only to lower payroll for the new owner?
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
<!--quoteo(post=7862:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:05 PM:name=sleepyhead)-->QUOTE (sleepyhead @ Dec 31 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2008...rk-di-rosa.html<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->No official word on this at the moment, but apparently the Indians have agreed to a deal in principle to acquire infielder Mark DeRosa from the Cubs in exchange for reliever Jeff Stevens and a few other minor leaguers. No word on how many other players will be traded or what minor leaguers the Indians are sending out, but this is what I have learned as of now.

Again, from what I am hearing this is a done deal. Not sure if this is centered around Stevens, but I doubt it. I think the center piece is one of our young lefty starters + Stevens and if a third player is involved a lower level pitcher.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=7865:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:17 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 31 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What if these moves aren't leading to a bigger move, but only to lower payroll for the new owner?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm not freaking out about it yet, but it isn't insane to be concerned.
<!--quoteo(post=7868:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:20 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 31 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7865:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:17 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 31 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What if these moves aren't leading to a bigger move, but only to lower payroll for the new owner?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm not freaking out about it yet, but it isn't insane to be concerned.
That's not happening.
<!--quoteo(post=7872:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:21 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Dec 31 2008, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7868:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:20 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 31 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=7865:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:17 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 31 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What if these moves aren't leading to a bigger move, but only to lower payroll for the new owner?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's not happening.
Most likely not, but there's always a limit.
<!--quoteo(post=7863:date=Dec 31 2008, 12:06 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 31 2008, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As usual, you fuckers need to REFUCKINGLAX.

IF we are trading DeRosa, and that's still an IF, then all of you douchebags who are constantly pissing and moaning about trading a guy one year too late, can shove it up your skirts. I love DeRosa as much as the rest of you, but bear in mind the fact that he had his BEST SEASON EVER last year at the age of 33. He hit twice as many home runs as the year before, in 3 more at bats. He set career highs in OPB and SLG. He is turning 34 this year. He has only 1 year left on his contract. If there EVER was a good time to deal him, it's NOW. It's possible he does the same thing this year. It's not probable though.

Just trading him to trade him doesn't make a lot of sense. However, trading him in the bigger picture of landing Peavy is a no brainer.

And bitching and moaning because we just spent 2.5 million dollars on the 23rd man on our roster seems a bit over the top.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree 100%. Best post in the thread.
Miles isn't that bad of a player. He does a lot of things right. It'd be nice if he walked a little more but he doesn't strike so Lou should feel good using him to hit-and-run. He can get a bunt down. He's versatile. He's pretty solid with the glove. He's obviously not DeRosa offensivley but he's not going to do anything to hurt us. You could do a lot worse for a utility guy. We could always bring back Macias...
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....sign-aaron.html

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs sign Aaron Miles; DeRosa likely gone

By Paul Sullivan

The Cubs signed switch-hitting infielder Aaron Miles to a two-year, $4.9 million deal on Wednesday, giving them a potential leadoff man to move Alfonso Soriano down in the lineup.

The 32-year-old Miles batted .317 in 134 games for St. Louis last year, and has a .289 career average and .329 on-base percentage. Though he’s spent much of his six-year career in the leadoff spot, Miles carries a .272 average and .305 on-base percentage in the top spot.

Major League sources say the addition of Miles means the Cubs are about to trade second baseman Mark DeRosa, who is in the final year of a three-year deal. General manager Jim Hendry was unavailable for comment.

In a statement on the Miles signing, Hendry said he gives them roster flexibility: “He handles the bat well from both sides of the plate and is a skillful middle infielder who has added third base and all three outfield positions to his repertoire during the last few years.”
Miles, who also played for the White Sox and Colorado, will earn $2.2 million in 2009 and $2.7 million in 2010. He has a .317 career average in day games, including a .392 average in day games in 2008.

DeRosa will be the odd man out, with Miles basically taking his job. The Cubs are expected to trade DeRosa for two or three prospects, and had listened to offers from Cleveland, Philadelphia, Minnesota and several other teams during the winter meetings.

How this effects Mike Fontenot remains to be seen. With the Cubs closing in on Milton Bradley for right and Miles replacing DeRosa at second, Fontenot is expected to get more playing time at shortstop, along with Ryan Theriot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sullivan is an idiot. Fontenot is going to be our starting secondbaseman. I don't think it is even a question.
I like signing Miles a lot. Love the way he plays the game, and I'm just glad he won't keep hitting .300 on the Cardinals. Plus I always respected him after I saw the story on espn years ago about him beating the crap out of some guys that had a gun to his face, Morgan Ensberg, and others. Tough little son of a bitch, we'll like him. Miles over Cedeno is fucking awesome.
@TheBlogfines