Sons of Ivy
All Things Considered.... - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: All Things Considered.... (/thread-7130.html)

Pages: 1 2

All Things Considered.... - Andy - 05-14-2009

We're doing pretty damn well. The Cubs are 5 games over .500, only a half game out of first place. That's not too shabby considering:

The reigning Rookie of the Year has been injured and currently sports a line of .193/.316/.253 and hit his first home run over a month into the season.
The biggest signing of the off season, Bradley, has spent plenty of time on the DL, has been hitting .194/.341/.375 when he was expected to be a significant part of the middle of the lineup.
DLee has continued his downward trend to the point where he's hitting .194/.270/.337.
Fontenot, who was supposed to be a sure-fire replacement for DeRosa at 2B is hitting a paltry .218/.319/.406.
ARam will be on the DL for at least the next 2 months.
Our utility guys, Johnson and Miles, are both hitting less than .225 and have 0 hr and 7 rbi combined.
The workhorse Zambrano is out for another week.
The bullpen has been an absolute mess.

With all that in mind, the Cubs are still playing pretty well. I have no doubt most of the guys will come around. The bullpen can't possibly be this bad, this consistently. Soto's just started to hit the ball and Bradley's looking much better. If/When this team starts clicking, I think we'll be pretty tough to beat.

All Things Considered.... - The Dude - 05-14-2009

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Theriot already has hit a career-high five home runs this season, all of them coming this month. In fact, he's now tied with Albert Pujols, Jay Bruce, Adam Dunn and Justin Upton for most National League home runs in May.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

didn't know where else to put this.

All Things Considered.... - veryzer - 05-14-2009

yes! i was going to make a similar post.

what was our record this time last year? about the same i think. and lookit the cardinals. injuries are starting to hit them now and they haven't been playing well. the brewers will cool off.

as bad as shits been, we're still in a good spot. the game is starting to hit, the riot is a powerhouse, soto had a good game last night, the starting pitching has still been solid. i'm beginning to feel a little better about things.

All Things Considered.... - ruby23 - 05-14-2009

<!--quoteo(post=37833:date=May 14 2009, 09:53 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 14 2009, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->yes! i was going to make a similar post.

what was our record this time last year? about the same i think. and lookit the cardinals. injuries are starting to hit them now and they haven't been playing well. the brewers will cool off.

as bad as shits been, we're still in a good spot. the game is starting to hit, the riot is a powerhouse, soto had a good game last night, the starting pitching has still been solid. i'm beginning to feel a little better about things.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This time last year, we were about a game worse and the Cards were a game or 2 better.

All Things Considered.... - Butcher - 05-14-2009

It would be nice if we could get Lee going. He was starting to show some power before he hurt his neck and I was thinking he's going to come around.

A nice outing from Dempster today would make me feel good. He hasn't been anything close to what he was last season.

But yeah -- it's hard to complain about where we stand right now. I was feeling shitty after the Milwaukee series, but kicking the Padres around has helped my mood.

All Things Considered.... - ruby23 - 05-14-2009

The 'Ole Fookster has been the MVP so far. Dude's been playing well, didn't think that would happen.

<!--quoteo(post=37840:date=May 14 2009, 10:04 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ May 14 2009, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The 'Ole Fookster has been the MVP so far. Dude's been playing well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's made a pretty nice transition to CF, as well. I was worried after he looked so rough in Spring Training.

All Things Considered.... - The Dude - 05-14-2009

Cubs are exactly where they were last year, 19-14.... It feels like it's beena lot more than 33 games!

All Things Considered.... - Auz - 05-14-2009

It helps that Mr Sparkle, The Riot and Fonzy have stepped up. They are keeping us above the water. Ramirez was as well before the injury.

Bradley finally is starting to hit. He looks lot more comfortable up there. Soto is hitting over .300 this month.

Harden and Lilly have been going well. Dempster has been showing that he can pitch.

Bullpen is a disaster, with only Marmol and more recently Guzman and Gregg pitching effectively. The rest can go fuck. Ascaino hasn't been used so he will need to pitch today.

If the starters are pitching well, you really only need 2 or 3 good bullpen guys. If Marmol, Guzman, and Gregg can keep it up, we should be fine. It would be nice to have a long relief guy that was semi-reliable. Maybe that's Heilman. But everyone needs to start throwing strikes. That will go a long way...

All Things Considered.... - Andy - 05-14-2009

I would much rather have the bullpen allow the opposition to put the ball in play and take our chances with where the ball is hit, than walk everyone. If the bullpen guys would just throw strikes, we'd be alright.

All Things Considered.... - Clapp - 05-14-2009

Heilman's going to be fine, and I still feel more confident in him than anybody outside of Marmol. He's had 1 <b>awful</b> outing where he allowed 5 earned runs in 0 IP against Florida which makes his stats look much worse than he's been overall. He and Marmol aren't going to keep walking guys at the rate they have early on.

All Things Considered.... - CFOrfan - 05-14-2009

As bad as we've been (and looking at the stats andy posted), you would think we were 5 games under. I really have no idea how we have won thus far.

All Things Considered.... - funkster - 05-14-2009

Another nice win.

<!--quoteo(post=38003:date=May 14 2009, 04:40 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ May 14 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Another nice win.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
A Funkster sighting!