Sons of Ivy
KF the Answer? - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: KF the Answer? (/thread-6776.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

KF the Answer? - BackyardLegend - 07-05-2009

So is Fukudome our answer at the leadoff spot? His OBP numbers are intriguing, but can this guy get on base when it counts?

I'm happy to see Soriano batting 6th and I hope he stays in that part of the lineup for the rest of the year. The question is do we look for leadoff help now before the trading deadline? I really haven't checked to see who could be available for that role.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

KF the Answer? - Ace - 07-05-2009

I like Fukudome or Bradley to lead off the rest of the year.

KF the Answer? - Lance - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48157:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like Fukudome or Bradley to lead off the rest of the year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. There is probably more made of this than there should be--but Soriano's struggles mandate a change. I'd actually like to see Bradley leading off more than Fuk, but I'd be very happy with them being 1-2.

KF the Answer? - ColoradoCub - 07-05-2009

I don't think we have the roster or payroll flexibility to add a good bat at the deadline. We're stuck with what we've got. I don't see any reason that Fuk or Bradley can't do the job there. I just wish that MB would stop taking strike 3 so damn much... He would need to alter his approach if he were going to hit there.

KF the Answer? - rok - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48158:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48157:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like Fukudome or Bradley to lead off the rest of the year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep. There is probably more made of this than there should be--but Soriano's struggles mandate a change. I'd actually like to see Bradley leading off more than Fuk, but I'd be very happy with them being 1-2.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The main reason why I'd prefer Milton is because I see Fuk sitting a lot against lefties. Then again, Milton blows from the left side of the plate so neither is an ideal option.

KF the Answer? - Lance - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48159:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:31 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 5 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think we have the roster or payroll flexibility to add a good bat at the deadline. We're stuck with what we've got. I don't see any reason that Fuk or Bradley can't do the job there. I just wish that MB would stop taking strike 3 so damn much... He would need to alter his approach if he were going to hit there.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure it's been said before, but one of the reasons that Soriano has been in the leadoff spot is that piitchers tend to like to throw strike 1 with the first batter. He loves to look for a first pitch fastball to nail--it's like the one time in the game where he's pretty sure of what's coming and he has been a killer fastball hitter.

KF the Answer? - Ace - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48160:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:37 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 5 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48158:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48157:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like Fukudome or Bradley to lead off the rest of the year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The main reason why I'd prefer Milton is because I see Fuk sitting a lot against lefties. Then again, Milton blows from the left side of the plate so neither is an ideal option.

Have Theriot lead off against lefties.

KF the Answer? - Giff - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48162:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:39 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48160:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:37 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 5 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48158:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48157:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like Fukudome or Bradley to lead off the rest of the year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or Reed.

KF the Answer? - BackyardLegend - 07-05-2009

If I had to pick one, it's Kosuke. Bradley has great plate discipline, but I don't like his attitude and I don't think it'd be a good fit at the top of the order.

As long as Fukudome can keep the barrel of the bat on that outside pitch, he'll be OK.

KF the Answer? - rok - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48163:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:41 PM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 5 2009, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48162:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:39 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48160:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:37 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 5 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48158:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Jul 5 2009, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48157:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like Fukudome or Bradley to lead off the rest of the year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or Reed.
Yeah, on second thought, Fuk is a better option. As long as Reed or Theriot are good complements to Fuk on the days when he isn't in the lineup, I think we can make it work. Soriano needs to be batting 7th or 8th at this point. I see zero improvement in his game lately. It's actually deteriorating right in front of our eyes, both at the plate and out in LF.

KF the Answer? - ColoradoCub - 07-05-2009

And on the base paths... Dipshit should have been out on the bloop

KF the Answer? - Andy - 07-05-2009

MB has pretty good plate discipline, but he so frequently looks for the walk, it almost seems like he'd rather walk than hit.

KF the Answer? - Oatmealcookie - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48166:date=Jul 5 2009, 02:44 PM:name=BackyardLegend)-->QUOTE (BackyardLegend @ Jul 5 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If I had to pick one, it's Kosuke. Bradley has great plate discipline, but I don't like his attitude and I don't think it'd be a good fit at the top of the order.

As long as Fukudome can keep the barrel of the bat on that outside pitch, he'll be OK.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im confused about this. Why this matters i have no idea.

KF the Answer? - Clapp - 07-05-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48151:date=Jul 5 2009, 01:02 PM:name=BackyardLegend)-->QUOTE (BackyardLegend @ Jul 5 2009, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His OBP numbers are intriguing, but can this guy get on base when it counts?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Can any of them?

KF the Answer? - jstraw - 07-06-2009

<!--quoteo(post=48177:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:24 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Jul 5 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->MB has pretty good plate discipline, but he so frequently looks for the walk, it almost seems like he'd rather walk than hit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, as long as it only ALMOST seems that way. Lead-off man is responsible for getting on base. I don't care how the hell he does it. If Bradley can find SOME way to feel successful at this point, I'm all for it. It's gonna help his whole game. We're gonna have him on the payroll for a long time.

I think platooning Fuk and Bradley in right based on the pitching matchups makes sense. I like Reed in center just fine. And when he needs a day off, Fuk can move over to center and Bradley can play in right.

Face it, we have to find a way to make Bradley work.