Sons of Ivy
Lou - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Lou (/thread-6726.html)

Pages: 1 2

Lou - Brock - 07-12-2009

So that thing with Marshall going to LF and then back in to pitch... Has Lou gone mad or is he a genius? Discuss.

Lou - Runnys - 07-12-2009

<!--quoteo(post=49533:date=Jul 12 2009, 10:17 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jul 12 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So that thing with Marshall going to LF and then back in to pitch... Has Lou gone mad or is he a genius? Discuss.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It worked so he looks like a genius.

Lou - dk123 - 07-12-2009

Heh. I was really confused following on gameday....I was sure someone had fucked something up....

Lou - jeffy - 07-12-2009

It seemed to piss off LaRussa, so it was a good idea.

Lou - vegascub - 07-13-2009

I was quite fascinated by it.

Lou - Giff - 07-13-2009

I thought it was a great idea, and I'm a little surprised it isn't done more. With the two lefties up in a big spot, it was important to keep him in. Plus it's not like he could be any worse in left than Soriano.

It was pretty funny being there, because people all around us had no idea what was going on. Not sure what was showed on TV, but he got a standing O when he came back to pitch after his batter in left field.

Lou - jstraw - 07-13-2009

I just want to know what the rulebook really says. I don't know that anything is sacrosanct about the pitching position. I think you could rotate players like junior high volley ball between every at bat if you like. This theory of LaRussa that if a player comes in "as a pitcher," he must pitch to a batter seems weird. If it's ok to not pitch to the very next batter then the last out of the inning or even the game could be made before he pitches to a batter...and if that's ok, then there must not be any such requirement at all. Seems to me that hypothetically, you could have on the field a LHP and a RHP at all times, each doubling at another position and switching in and out depending on the batter if that's what you wanted to do.

I don't know the rule on this but I'd like to.

Lou - veryzer - 07-13-2009

that wasn't the first time it's been done. i've seen it before a few times. you can rotate players from position to position all throughout the game if you want. as long as that player isn't removed from the game completely, he can play wherever he wants. i think bert campaneris, or someone like him, played every position on the field in a game nbefore, including pitching.

Lou - Coldneck - 07-13-2009

<!--quoteo(post=49553:date=Jul 13 2009, 08:37 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 13 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->that wasn't the first time it's been done. i've seen it before a few times. you can rotate players from position to position all throughout the game if you want. as long as that player isn't removed from the game completely, he can play wherever he wants. i think bert campaneris, or someone like him, played every position on the field in a game nbefore, including pitching.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The rule Straw was referring to is whether Marshall was obligated to pitch to a better once he returned to the mound. My basic understanding of the rule is that a pitcher must face one batter when brought into the game, however I don't know how it applies when the pitcher leaves the mound, plays another position, and returns to the mound later in the inning.

Lou - Oatmealcookie - 07-13-2009

<!--quoteo(post=49555:date=Jul 13 2009, 07:42 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 13 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49553:date=Jul 13 2009, 08:37 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 13 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->that wasn't the first time it's been done. i've seen it before a few times. you can rotate players from position to position all throughout the game if you want. as long as that player isn't removed from the game completely, he can play wherever he wants. i think bert campaneris, or someone like him, played every position on the field in a game nbefore, including pitching.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The rule Straw was referring to is whether Marshall was obligated to pitch to a better once he returned to the mound. My basic understanding of the rule is that a pitcher must face one batter when brought into the game, however I don't know how it applies when the pitcher leaves the mound, plays another position, and returns to the mound later in the inning.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would think it would be similar to a pinch hitter. Now obviously you cant switch batting order around by swapping guys but i would think that a pitcher and all other fielders are unofficially announced at that position for the ab and can only be replaced in that position by someone off the bench.

Lou - ruby23 - 07-13-2009

I thought it was pointless and unneccesary. Leaving Marshall in would have probably brought about similar results.

Lou - rok - 07-13-2009

I was at the game in the bleachers last night. I thought some of the drunk people's heads were going to explode when Marshall was moved to LF. That said, this was one of the few games that I've been to in recent years where we lost and I still had a decent time. Lots of Cards fans were being dicks, especially the women, but our fans weren't exactly classing up the place either.

And how many double plays did we ground into? It seemed like there was one every inning.

Lou - jstraw - 07-13-2009

<!--quoteo(post=49563:date=Jul 13 2009, 08:25 AM:name=Oatmealcookie)-->QUOTE (Oatmealcookie @ Jul 13 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49555:date=Jul 13 2009, 07:42 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 13 2009, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49553:date=Jul 13 2009, 08:37 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 13 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->that wasn't the first time it's been done. i've seen it before a few times. you can rotate players from position to position all throughout the game if you want. as long as that player isn't removed from the game completely, he can play wherever he wants. i think bert campaneris, or someone like him, played every position on the field in a game nbefore, including pitching.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would think it would be similar to a pinch hitter. Now obviously you cant switch batting order around by swapping guys but i would think that a pitcher and all other fielders are unofficially announced at that position for the ab and can only be replaced in that position by someone off the bench.

That would be my understanding as well. The key phrase being "for the ab." I'm pretty sure you can play Yatze with your whole defense between AB's if you want to.

Lou - MAlou18 - 07-13-2009

<!--quoteo(post=49538:date=Jul 12 2009, 10:39 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Jul 12 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It seemed to piss off LaRussa, so it was a good idea.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was the key thing to me, actually I think it showed Lou is still thinking and doing what he thinks he has to do. Different but I liked it.

Lou - BackyardLegend - 07-13-2009

Someone on ESPN or CNNSI wrote about this a while back and questioned why it wasn't done more with relievers. It's definitely legal.