Sons of Ivy
Credit to Jim Hendry - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Credit to Jim Hendry (/thread-5944.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Credit to Jim Hendry - Ace - 12-30-2009

I had forgotten about one very good move that Hendry made in the last few years. Before the 2008 season, NO ONE thought it was a good idea to make Ryan Dempster a starting pitcher again. No one, except Jim Hendry, who was committed to the idea.

So there you go - that was a very good move by Jim Hendry.

Of course, then he went and re-signed Dempster to a massive, overpaid contract, but whateves.

Credit to Jim Hendry - rok - 12-30-2009

Dempster actually had a fairly good under-the-radar type season, despite the poor start and family and health issues. If he can just repeat his 2009 and get better run support, there's no reason to complain about his contract going forward, even though he is slightly overpaid.

Credit to Jim Hendry - veryzer - 12-30-2009

That was beautiful.

Not to beat the hendry thing to death, but here's the way I feel about him so far: He's done a lot of good things. He's done some bad things as well. I suppose that can be said about every GM in baseball. But given the resources he's had at his disposal, the results haven't been good enough. Is that all his fault? Of course not. The players have to perform. You can't fire a team though and someone has to pay for the lack of playoff success. I know I know I know, 3 straight winning seasons, back to back playoff appearances, 97 wins, it's all wonderful, but only in Chicago would anyone be satisfied with that.

In the end, Hendry doesn't suck. He was infinitely better than KB will ever admit but not nearly as good as BT or scarey think he is. He had a nice run, he ddid some nice things, he brought a modicum of respectability to the organization, but ultimately he failed to do the one thing he had to do, and that's bring a championship to Wrigley. He was given the money and the time to do it and he failed. He has to go. It's time for a new direction..

Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.

Credit to Jim Hendry - Coldneck - 12-30-2009

Nice use of caps and well said Veryzer. You are spot on.

Credit to Jim Hendry - rok - 12-30-2009

<!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, I think you speak for the majority of Cubs fans. I've been ready for a change since last offseason actually, since the Miles signing. I'm just not that adamant about it because I feel whoever is the GM will never win anything here ever. There, I said it.

Credit to Jim Hendry - Rappster - 12-30-2009

<!--quoteo(post=73349:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:41 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I had forgotten about one very good move that Hendry made in the last few years. Before the 2008 season, NO ONE thought it was a good idea to make Ryan Dempster a starting pitcher again. No one, except Jim Hendry, who was committed to the idea.

So there you go - that was a very good move by Jim Hendry.

Of course, then he went and re-signed Dempster to a massive, overpaid contract, but whateves.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Note to Ace:

When giving credit to someone...go the whole way. Don't stop to use the left-hand on the way out.

Credit to Jim Hendry - veryzer - 12-30-2009

<!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, I think you speak for the majority of Cubs fans. I've been ready for a change since last offseason actually, since the Miles signing. I'm just not that adamant about it because I feel whoever is the GM will never win anything here ever. There, I said it.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I agree with that too.

Credit to Jim Hendry - cherp - 12-30-2009

<!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You really don't think it can happen here?

I do - but I don't think the difference between JH and GMX is the difference. I think winning a WS requires a lot to go right - all at once - from a lot of players. I think the Cubs have the talent to do it - and are overdue for the breaks...not sure when - but I don't know why it couldn't eventually happen with all the talent on this roster.

I still feel like a GM is grossly overrated.

<!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do - but I don't think the difference between JH and GMX is the difference. I think winning a WS requires a lot to go right - all at once - from a lot of players. I think the Cubs have the talent to do it - and are overdue for the breaks...not sure when - but I don't know why it couldn't eventually happen with all the talent on this roster.

Large market GMs are mildly overrated. Small and medium market GMs can be the sole difference between a perennial loser and a playoff team.

<!--quoteo(post=73366:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Large market GMs are mildly overrated. Small and medium market GMs can be the sole difference between a perennial loser and a playoff team.

Explain yourself...

<!--quoteo(post=73367:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73366:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Explain yourself...
Compare Minnesota's Terry Ryan to Kansas City's Dayton Moore. Compare the Marlins' Larry Beinfest to the Nationals' Jim Bowden (who was fired last year).

<!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do - but I don't think the difference between JH and GMX is the difference. I think winning a WS requires a lot to go right - all at once - from a lot of players. <b>I think the Cubs have the talent to do it </b>- and are overdue for the breaks...not sure when - but I don't know why it couldn't eventually happen with all the talent on this roster.

You see, this is where we disagree. I don't think we have all that much talent. Yes we have some big names, but we really don't have that much top notch talent. Certainly not enough to justify the payroll. All of our top players have some question marks. Lee has been good but inconsistant since his monster 2006 season. Aramis is up and down with the glove and can't stay healthy. Soriano has injury troubles and IMO isn't very good anymore. Z is maddening because the talent is there but his numbers have declined each of the last 3 seasons. Oh yeah, he's psycho too.

<!--quoteo(post=73369:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:17 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73367:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73366:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Explain yourself...
Compare Minnesota's Terry Ryan to Kansas City's Dayton Moore. Compare the Marlins' Larry Beinfest to the Nationals' Jim Bowden (who was fired last year).

Adding Billy Beane, as the shining example, of course.

How does that point possibly require explanation? Have you followed baseball in the last 20 years?

<!--quoteo(post=73372:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:26 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73369:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:17 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73367:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73366:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Explain yourself...

How does that point possibly require explanation? Have you followed baseball in the last 20 years?

You see I don't think Billy Beane is a good example any longer. His teams have overachieved IMO, but are less impressive than the Marlins and the Twins.

<!--quoteo(post=73372:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:26 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73369:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:17 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Dec 30 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73367:date=Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Dec 30 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73366:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Dec 30 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73364:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Dec 30 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73357:date=Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 30 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=73354:date=Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 30 2009, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe I'm in the minority, but another winning season doesn't mean shit to me without at the very least, a pennant. The time has come. Let's see what a different GM can do. That's my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Explain yourself...

Oh no...I completely agree with you. I'm a huge Terry Ryan fan, in fact.

I just love it when your little ears get red. You look just like the troll on my dashboard.