Sons of Ivy
Second Base - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Second Base (/thread-5808.html)

Pages: 1 2

Second Base - DaveB - 01-26-2010

Im very pleased with Hendry going out and signing Nady as our 4th outfielder, he was definitely the best option among Dye, Ghomes, and the rest of those guys. Nady is a guy who is 1 season removed from hitting 25 HR/97 RBI.
But now that we have our 4th outfielder (who will probably end up being a starter sometime during the season due to injury/sucktitude of our other outfielders), what is Hendry's next priority? Does this mean that Hendry will finally go out and fill the other major hole in our lineup: second base?

Im a big Jeff Baker supporter, I feel he proved his worth to the team last season. But has he proven that he can be an everyday starter for us? Atleast it appears as if the Cubs don't believe so, because everything we hear has them considering platooning Baker with *shudder* Mike Fontenote.

I loved Fonte in the '08 season, but he proved last year he doesn't have what it takes to be an everyday starter. And if the Cubs don't believe that Baker can be their everyday starter as well, is it not time that we go out and sign a legitimate 2B?

I feel like Orlando Hudson could be a good fit for us. I also see Orlando Cabrera as a good fit as well. He's a SS, but if we signed him couldn't we just move Riot to 2B? (Isn't that what the Cubs are planning anyway with Sterling Castro coming up in the next couple seasons?)

What do you all think? Is Hendry going to go after a legitimate option at 2B now, or is he going to count on the Baker/Fonte platoon?

Second Base - BT - 01-26-2010

No. We don't have to money to sign Cabrera or Hudson. At least not at the prices they are asking right now.

Second Base - jstraw - 01-26-2010

I think we should just dig a moat around second base.

Second Base - rok - 01-26-2010

I get the feeling that the organization believes that Fontenot will have a bounce-back season and that a platoon of Fontenot/Baker will put up acceptable numbers.

I'm not sure that I agree with them, but this appears to be what they plan to roll the dice with.

Second Base - Rappster - 01-26-2010

<!--quoteo(post=77451:date=Jan 26 2010, 03:37 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 26 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I get the feeling that the organization believes that Fontenot will have a bounce-back season and that a platoon of Fontenot/Baker will put up acceptable numbers.

I'm not sure that I agree with them, but this appears to be what they plan to roll the dice with.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you look at the options for 2B...as well as the current ML starters at the position, we might not be as bad off as we think.

It's not the strongest position in the ML, right now.

Second Base - MW4 - 01-26-2010

Any chance Soriano takes some grounders this spring at 2B?

<!--quoteo(post=77460:date=Jan 26 2010, 03:58 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Jan 26 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance Soriano takes some grounders this spring at 2B?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*snicker*

Second Base - Butcher - 01-26-2010

[obligatory Matt Murton to 2B comment]Anyone checked to see if Murton is available?[/obligatory Matt Murton to 2B comment]

Second Base - Tailgater - 01-26-2010

I can live with Baker and Fontenot at 2B. As long as Baker gets more starts.

Second Base - Clapp - 01-26-2010

<!--quoteo(post=77460:date=Jan 26 2010, 02:58 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Jan 26 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance Soriano takes some grounders this spring at 2B?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I believe he made more errors than any other 2B in baseball during his time at the position. Now he has much less range, hasn't been fielding groundballs on a daily basis in years, and I personally feel that turning a double play at second base is about the hardest thing to do defensively in baseball. I think it would be an absolute disaster, and might screw him up mentally at the plate as well.

Second Base - ruby23 - 01-26-2010

I think Fontenot and Baker will be a good platoon personally.

[Image: thistall.jpg]

<!--quoteo(post=77464:date=Jan 26 2010, 04:25 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 26 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77460:date=Jan 26 2010, 02:58 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Jan 26 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Any chance Soriano takes some grounders this spring at 2B?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I believe he made more errors than any other 2B in baseball during his time at the position. Now he has much less range, hasn't been fielding groundballs on a daily basis in years, and I personally feel that turning a double play at second base is about the hardest thing to do defensively in baseball. I think it would be an absolute disaster, and might screw him up mentally at the plate as well.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I meant to say when I said "*snicker*. Thanks.

Second Base - DaveB - 01-26-2010

<!--quoteo(post=77463:date=Jan 26 2010, 04:13 PM:name=Tailgater)-->QUOTE (Tailgater @ Jan 26 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can live with Baker and Fontenot at 2B. As long as Baker gets more starts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See I totally agree with you there, but from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem as if the Cubs are planning on Baker getting many more starts than Fontenote.
And that's what scares me

Second Base - Butcher - 01-26-2010

I fucking hate Fontenot.