Sons of Ivy
An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: An observation regarding Sammy Sosa (/thread-5755.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Runnys - 02-08-2010

I am watching the DVD of Wood's 20K game and I have to say this, Sammy was NOT that big in 1998. Seriously, if you can, go back and watch the game, Sammy is still a pretty thin guy. He isn't all bulked up like some people make him out to be, at least not in 1998.

I think Sammy is the single season homerun king [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Coldneck - 02-08-2010

Sammy was a cheat, is a cheat, and will always be a cheat.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Butcher - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think Sammy is the single season homerun king<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There has never been any doubt in my mind.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - MW4 - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=78930:date=Feb 8 2010, 11:48 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 8 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think Sammy is the single season homerun king<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with you guys, there's no evidence at all--not a peep from anyone.

If there ever is, I'll re-visit my position, but until then Sammy will be the man. (insert Sammy finger gesture)

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Scarey - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=78934:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:48 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78930:date=Feb 8 2010, 11:48 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 8 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think Sammy is the single season homerun king<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If there ever is, I'll re-visit my position, but until then Sammy will be the man. (insert Sammy finger gesture)

No evidence at all... besides that failed steroid screening.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - jstraw - 02-08-2010

Maris.

End of story.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Coldneck - 02-08-2010

This thread sucks. Sammy's a ghost of his former self.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - PcB - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=78935:date=Feb 8 2010, 02:53 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Feb 8 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78934:date=Feb 8 2010, 04:48 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Feb 8 2010, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78930:date=Feb 8 2010, 11:48 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 8 2010, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->I think Sammy is the single season homerun king<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No evidence at all... besides that failed steroid screening.
Bingo. Oh and that little forgetting how to speaka da English in front of Congress thing.

Fuck Sammy Sosa.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - 1060Ivy - 02-08-2010

Sammy was a great player and 1998 was a fun season to watch. Let's be serious, of course Sosa used steroids and other PEDs. I'm waiting to hear a report that even the umpires and ball boys were using the steroids in those days. It doesn't change how much fun I had watching Sosa park 20 HRs in the month of June that season.

The guy was cheating, ego-manic which the Tribune and Cubs management fueled but he could be fun to watch.

The single season homer run king is neither Maris, Sosa, nor McGuire but Barry Bonds another cheater. The holiest of thou folks need to learn to deal with the fact that the league was tainted for years but the records will stand.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Lance - 02-08-2010

Now that Tommy is gone, I'm feeling more and more alone in the "Sammy was great, regardless of anything else" camp here. I took great joy from Sammy for many years. Ryno may be the only other player who has personally provided me as much happiness as Sammy.

Yeah, it ended badly, but as with some relationships, that didn't cancel out all of the great times.

<!--quoteo(post=78974:date=Feb 8 2010, 06:57 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Feb 8 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sammy was a great player and 1998 was a fun season to watch. Let's be serious, of course Sosa used steroids and other PEDs. I'm waiting to hear a report that even the umpires and ball boys were using the steroids in those days. It doesn't change how much fun I had watching Sosa park 20 HRs in the month of June that season.

The guy was cheating, ego-manic which the Tribune and Cubs management fueled but he could be fun to watch.

The single season homer run king is neither Maris, Sosa, nor McGuire but Barry Bonds another cheater. The holiest of thou folks need to learn to deal with the fact that the league was tainted for years but the records will stand.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No one that at present, has hit more home runs in a season than Maris, is getting into the Hall...ever. And they can all fucking explain it to their grandchildren any fucking way they want.

To me, that's the same thing as Maris still owning the record.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - MW4 - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=78976:date=Feb 8 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Feb 8 2010, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Now that Tommy is gone, I'm feeling more and more alone in the "Sammy was great, regardless of anything else" camp here. I took great joy from Sammy for many years. Ryno may be the only other player who has personally provided me as much happiness as Sammy.

Yeah, it ended badly, but as with some relationships, that didn't cancel out all of the great times.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with you man.

Where did Tom go? What did I miss?

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - Lance - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=78978:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:32 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Feb 8 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78976:date=Feb 8 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Lance)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance @ Feb 8 2010, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Now that Tommy is gone, I'm feeling more and more alone in the "Sammy was great, regardless of anything else" camp here. I took great joy from Sammy for many years. Ryno may be the only other player who has personally provided me as much happiness as Sammy.

Yeah, it ended badly, but as with some relationships, that didn't cancel out all of the great times.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm with you man.

Where did Tom go? What did I miss?

No drama. He's just not here. I miss him.

An observation regarding Sammy Sosa - VanSlawAndCottoCheese - 02-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=78977:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:15 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 8 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No one that, at present, has hit more home runs in a season than <b>Ruth</b> is getting into the Hall...ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fixed. In both a "needling reminder that Maris himself isn't in the Hall so why use that as a benchmark" sorta way and a "grammar-douche English teacher" sorta way.

<!--quoteo(post=78981:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:24 PM:name=VanSlawAndCottoCheese)-->QUOTE (VanSlawAndCottoCheese @ Feb 8 2010, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78977:date=Feb 8 2010, 08:15 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 8 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->No one that, at present, has hit more home runs in a season than <b>Ruth</b> is getting into the Hall...ever.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fixed. In both a "needling reminder that Maris himself isn't in the Hall so why use that as a benchmark" sorta way and a "grammar-douche English teacher" sorta way.

It's a benchmark because all those guys were chasing...and ultimately broke Maris' record. All of them would otherwise be locks for the Hall if they hadn't cheated, though not just for breaking that record. None of them are getting into the Hall. The baseball writers are enforcing a kind of justice because the Hall isn't handing out any more asterisks. Ain't that a bitch?

Grammar douche.