Sons of Ivy
Serious question... - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Serious question... (/thread-5663.html)

Pages: 1 2

Serious question... - bz - 03-01-2010

If and when Vlad makes it to the HOF will you be mad that he makes it as an Expo?

Serious question... - Butcher - 03-01-2010

<!--quoteo(post=81030:date=Mar 1 2010, 05:01 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Mar 1 2010, 05:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If and when Vlad makes it to the HOF will you be mad that he makes it as an Expo?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No.

Serious question... - rok - 03-01-2010

I don't think either the Angels or Expos fanbases care one way or another.

Serious question... - 1060Ivy - 03-01-2010

You may want to ask if Vlad goes in as an Angel rather than a Expo would fans be mad.

Don't think fans would be pissed if he went in as an Expo but they may get pissed if he goes in as any other team than the Expos as it would appear that Dawson as a double standard.

Vlad played 8 years as an Expo, 6 years as an Angel and who knows how long as a Ranger. He won the MVP as an Angel, but after the Dawson thing the Hall will most likely have him go in as an Expo.

Serious question... - kbwsb - 03-04-2010

The fans of the Expos got as thoroughly reamed as any baseball fans ever.
What really sticks out is the hideous 1994 season, when Jerry Reinsdorf and his buddy Bud thought it'd be cool to cancel the season in August.

At the time, the Expos had the best record in all MLB. Their outfield was Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom, and Larry Walker, all age 27, all about to hit their prime. Vlad wasn't even on the team yet (but was in the system).

Rotation? They had a 22 year old Pedro Martinez, who was already fantastic, but wasn't even the ace of the staff...3 other starters had a better ERA+.
Future WS MVP John Wettland was their closer, but they had 4 other guys in their pen who would become future closers for other teams.

After the strike, they had to break the team up, and they were never the same.

Not as bad as being a Cub's fan, sure, but at least we still have a <i>team</i>.

Serious question... - Butcher - 03-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=81538:date=Mar 4 2010, 03:21 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Mar 4 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The fans of the Expos got as thoroughly reamed as any baseball fans ever.
What really sticks out is the hideous 1994 season, when Jerry Reinsdorf and his buddy Bud thought it'd be cool to cancel the season in August.

At the time, the Expos had the best record in all MLB. Their outfield was Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom, and Larry Walker, all age 27, all about to hit their prime. Vlad wasn't even on the team yet (but was in the system).

They had a 22 year old Pedro Martinez, who was already fantastic, but wasn't even the ace of the staff...3 other starters had a better ERA+.
Future WS MVP John Wettland was their closer, but they had 4 other guys in their pen who would become future closers for other teams.

After the strike, they had to break the team up, and they were never the same.

Not as bad as being a Cub's fan, sure, but at least we still have a <i>team</i>.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow. Being a Cubs fan isn't even in the same stratosphere as being an Expos fan. Being a Cubs fan is actually a helluva lot of fun most of the time. Yeah -- there's the heartbreak and the laughably bad history, but there's plenty of good shit, too.

And like you said -- Expos fans are now without a team. How does it possibly get any worse than that?

Serious question... - rok - 03-04-2010

Donald Sutherland weeps for Montreal.

Serious question... - Rappster - 03-04-2010

Excellent stuff, Kabes...that year, Selig and Reinsdorf were Exhibit AAA as to the reason baseball should have its antitrust exemption revoked and burned.

Serious question... - Destined - 03-04-2010

The last sign of the Expos...

<b>Then:</b>
[Image: 1100Youppi.jpg]

<b>Today:</b>
[Image: 20051018NHLMontrealExposmascotYouppi.jpg]

Me thinks that a lot of Expos fans have followed Youppi and delved deeper into the Habs. Toronto would miss baseball a helluva lot more than Montreal does.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Toronto would miss baseball a helluva lot more than Montreal does.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Montreal was a legit baseball city when I was a kid. They just never recovered from the shortened season in '94. That truly killed that franchise.

KB is right -- take a look at the Expos' roster in 1994. Imagine having that team and totally kicking ass. Then imagine having the rug pulled out from under you as a fan and having what could have been an historic season cut short.

That would take the wind out of the sails of a whole lot of franchises.

Serious question... - rok - 03-04-2010

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/montattn.shtml
I was surprised to see how steady Montreal's attendance figures were up until 1984. I wonder what happened around that time. I know that the roof was added to Olymplic Stadium in 1987, but afterward they seemed to really struggle to average 20k per game and never got close to the 2 mil mark for a full season ever again, even during their good years.

Serious question... - kbwsb - 03-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=81556:date=Mar 4 2010, 04:11 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 4 2010, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/montattn.shtml
I was surprised to see how steady Montreal's attendance figures were up until 1984. I wonder what happened around that time. I know that the roof was added to Olymplic Stadium in 1987, but afterward they seemed to really struggle to average 20k per game and never got close to the 2 mil mark for a full season ever again, even during their good years.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Very interesting. It doesn't make sense, because around the time their attendance started dropping, they were putting a real exciting team on the field, with Andre Dawson and Tim Raines at their peaks.

<!--quoteo(post=81554:date=Mar 4 2010, 02:04 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 4 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Toronto would miss baseball a helluva lot more than Montreal does.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Montreal was a legit baseball city when I was a kid. They just never recovered from the shortened season in '94. That truly killed that franchise.

KB is right -- take a look at the Expos' roster in 1994. Imagine having that team and totally kicking ass. Then imagine having the rug pulled out from under you as a fan and having what could have been an historic season cut short.

That would take the wind out of the sails of a whole lot of franchises.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No doubt '94 was the killer. Think of all the stars that came through there, Walker, The Unit, The Big Cat, etc. Maybe it's that I just wasn't around when they had a following, I'm not sure. I just think of the Expos as a lower tier version of the Marlins in terms of the franchise and fan support. Watching games in Montreal was just depressing as hell. I always liked them, and thought they were better than people thought. I just think of Toronto being a better baseball town simply in terms of support, their competition on the field, and their attempt at becoming "Canada's team".

Blue Jays attendance figures

Destined -- you were absolutely right. Toronto has always killed the Expos, attendance-wise.

I guess my memory is skewed. When I first watched baseball back in '82 and '83, it seemed like they were well-supported. Plus, I never watched any AL games, so I had no point of reference.

I'll chalk it up to Montreal being French-Canadian...

<!--quoteo(post=81562:date=Mar 4 2010, 02:24 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 4 2010, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Blue Jays attendance figures

Destined -- you were absolutely right. Toronto has always killed the Expos, attendance-wise.

I guess my memory is skewed. When I first watched baseball back in '82 and '83, it seemed like they were well-supported. Plus, I never watched any AL games, so I had no point of reference.

<b>I'll chalk it up to Montreal being French-Canadian...</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly. Which is why a vast majority of Canadian ballplayers come from British Columbia(Walker, Dempster, Bay, Harden, Francis, Morneau).

Plus, the Blue Jays were a powerhouse in the early 90s, and drew 4 million because of it. Also, I just looked this up, they have broadcast rights for most of Canada, including the most populated provinces (BC and Alberta belong to the M's, Saskatchewan and Manitoba to the Twins, and New Brunswick is shared with the Sawx).