Sons of Ivy
American League Division Winner Predictions - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: American League Division Winner Predictions (/thread-5512.html)

Pages: 1 2

American League Division Winner Predictions - biggz - 04-04-2010

Who you got facing the Cubs in the World Series?

American League Division Winner Predictions - Destined - 04-04-2010

Halos. Twinkies. Rays.

American League Division Winner Predictions - Clapp - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85741:date=Apr 3 2010, 10:17 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 3 2010, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Halos. Twinkies. Rays.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think they all finish in 3rd place.

<!--quoteo(post=85744:date=Apr 3 2010, 09:21 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 3 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85741:date=Apr 3 2010, 10:17 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 3 2010, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Halos. Twinkies. Rays.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think they all finish in 3rd place.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
All three divisions have three legitimate contenders, and two pieces of shit. (Sans the Four-Team AL West. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

American League Division Winner Predictions - Dave - 04-04-2010

Ranger/Twins/Rays

Although all three divisions are going to be competitive at the top

American League Division Winner Predictions - biggz - 04-04-2010

Yankees: Defending champs makes it hard for me to pick against them, and I didn't love the Sox offseason (though I don't think it was horrible.)

Twins: I really think the AL Central is a crapshoot. Didn't really understand the Tigers offseason and the White Sox don't impress me.

Mariners: Liked their offseason moves. Lee and King Felix have the potential to be the best 1-2 tandem in the game. Angels will probably do what they usually do and find their way to another division crown.

Wild Card: Red Sox

I think the Mariners will be a huge disappointment. I don't think Lee will be as out-of-this-world as people claim. They got Bedard a few years back, and he was never the same. Lee is hurt at the moment, Bradley shows no sign of rehabilitation, and that lineup is devoid of power.

I just don't see how people can pick the Rays ahead of the Red Sox and Yankees. They finished 19 games behind the Yankees last year and 11 behind the Red Sox. They really didn't do anything to improve the team on paper. They're going to have to improve within, which they're certainly capable of with all of their young talent. B.J. Upton can't be any worse and David Price is sure to dominate soon. But, it's gonna be tough.

The Red Sox added John Lackey to a rotation that already has Beckett and Lester. Their defense should also be much improved, their bench is improved, and they have a full season of Victor Martinez's bat.

The Yankees' lineup isn't going to get any worse with Curtis Granderson and Nick Johnson now a part of it. They also have Javier Vazquez now in the rotation. He had a 2.87 ERA and 1.03 WHIP last year and has thrown at least 200 innings in 9 of the last 10 seasons.

<!--quoteo(post=85752:date=Apr 3 2010, 10:53 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 3 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think the Mariners will be a huge disappointment. I don't think Lee will be as out-of-this-world as people claim. <b>They got Bedard a few years back, and he was never the same.</b> Lee is hurt at the moment, Bradley shows no sign of rehabilitation, and that lineup is devoid of power.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bedard's a huge pussy; Cliff Lee isn't.

Their offense is a huge question mark, but should be improved. Ichiro and Figgins at the top of the order will annoy the shit out of pitchers.

Their rotation led the AL in ERA, BAA, OPS allowed, and were 2nd in quality starts last year. Now add Lee into that, and they can really be something. They should especially be good at home where it's tough to score runs anyway. Teams aren't going to put over 3 runs on the board when they're facing Felix and Lee there.

I like them to win the division, but could also see either the Rangers or Angels winning it. Even Baseball Prospectus' projected standings crap have the A's winning it. This will be a really fun division.

American League Division Winner Predictions - rok - 04-04-2010

I don't understand what people see in the Tigers. They were a mess last season, and I don't see how they improved at all.

<!--quoteo(post=85784:date=Apr 4 2010, 01:25 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 4 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't understand what people see in the Tigers. They were a mess last season, and I don't see how they improved at all.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like them a lot actually and think they win the division. They finished just 1 game out of 1st last year and 6.5 games ahead of the White Sox. They won't lose anything offensively in the Damon-Granderson change, added Valverde at closer, and have a very good 1-2 in Verlander and Porcello(just turned 21, 3.96 ERA last year, and has really opened eyes this spring).

I -loved- the trade with the D'backs. I think Scherzer's better than Edwin Jackson and they also added two other very good young arms in the trade. Then on offense, rookies Austin Jackson and Scott Sizemore are each two of the leading ROY candidates in the AL this year. Jackson's still a project, but Sizemore is expected to step right in and put up solid offensive numbers with 15+ homer ability immediately.

The Twins had the biggest homefield advantage in baseball while playing in the Metrodome, and the White Sox have a very good rotation but it remains to be seen how their different lineup will perform. All three of these teams can win the division

American League Division Winner Predictions - kbwsb - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85753:date=Apr 3 2010, 11:54 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 3 2010, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just don't see how people can pick the Rays ahead of the Red Sox and Yankees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I picked the Rays because I think they're a good young team that plays fearlessly.
By contrast, the Yanks are a very old team. I don't think guys like A-Rod and Jeter are going to fall off a cliff this year, but they're at the age when MVP-type seasons become an extreme rarity. Their pitching staff avoided injury problems last year, but guys like AJ are accidents waiting to happen.

The Red Sox will have excellent run prevention. But I'm not sold on a lineup that depends on Big Papi, and that axed Jason Bay. What they're doing is kind of an experiment; I'm pretty interested to see how it turns out. Let's face it, this division could go many ways.

But, the Rays are full of guys in their mid-20's, who should be coming into their primes. Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena are in contract years, so I don't expect them to drop off from their stellar seasons last year.
Also, last year, the Rays had 2 starting OFers and a DH who ALL put up an OPS+ of 79.
Read that again.
I can't imagine something that outrageous will happen this year.

I know they finished pretty far back in '09, but the previous year, they improved by 31 games (66 wins to 97 !), so I don't see a 95-win season as a big stretch.

Then again, maybe I'm picking with my heart.

<!--quoteo(post=85808:date=Apr 4 2010, 03:07 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 4 2010, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85753:date=Apr 3 2010, 11:54 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 3 2010, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I just don't see how people can pick the Rays ahead of the Red Sox and Yankees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I picked the Rays because I think they're a good young team that plays fearlessly.
By contrast, the Yanks are a very old team. I don't think guys like A-Rod and Jeter are going to fall off a cliff this year, but they're at the age when MVP-type seasons become an extreme rarity. Their pitching staff avoided injury problems last year, but guys like AJ are accidents waiting to happen.

The Red Sox will have excellent run prevention. But I'm not sold on a lineup that depends on Big Papi, and that axed Jason Bay. What they're doing is kind of an experiment; I'm pretty interested to see how it turns out. Let's face it, this division could go many ways.

But, the Rays are full of guys in their mid-20's, who should be coming into their primes. Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena are in contract years, so I don't expect them to drop off from their stellar seasons last year.
Also, last year, the Rays had 2 starting OFers and a DH who ALL put up an OPS+ of 79.
Read that again.
I can't imagine something that outrageous will happen this year.

I know they finished pretty far back in '09, but the previous year, they improved by 31 games (66 wins to 97 !), so I don't see a 95-win season as a big stretch.

Then again, maybe I'm picking with my heart.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You make great points and I totally agree that the Rays are capable of it, I just think the Red Sox and Yankees are much more of a sure thing. If we're going purely by talent and depth across the board, you might not find a better choice than the Rays in all of baseball.

American League Division Winner Predictions - funkster - 04-04-2010

Angels/Twins/Yankees

I think the Central will be tight, but as someone else said, despite their propaganda machine I don't think the the Sox are all that impressive.

American League Division Winner Predictions - MW4 - 04-04-2010

LA Times today....

LAA
TEX
SEA
OAK

DET
MIN
CHW
CLE
KC

TB