Sons of Ivy
The Draft - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: The Draft (/thread-6966.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Draft - Scarey - 06-09-2009

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] LSU infielder!

The Draft - Baron - 06-09-2009

We picked a Paul Mainieri guy? Color me shocked.

The Draft - rok - 06-09-2009

This organization is so fucking predictable.

SCOUTING REPORT: LeMahieu has the lean, projectable frame, along with the talent, to be drafted in the top three to five rounds, but his chances of actually going in that area will hinge on his signability. He is heavily committed to Louisiana State , and it is expected to take a significant six-figure bonus to steer him away. He has been up-front with area scouts about his financial demands, however, so there is not expected to be a misreading of his intentions. LeMahieu has good present baseball skills, but it’s all about projection—especially with the bat. He has adequate present bat speed, can handle the bat head and should develop above-average power as he matures physically. He makes plays in the field with soft hands and his arm strength is sufficient to remain on the left side through college and the lower minors, but less than ideal SS running speed is expected to push him to third base eventually—or possibly even to first if his power materializes.

Looks like a pretty good pick really as long as the Cubs can sign him. I would really like to get some corner power bats though...

Another guy who isn't a true SS.

The Draft - Butcher - 06-09-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43346:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:09 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 9 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This organization is so fucking predictable.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'll keep saying it. I really hope Ricketts cleans house, top to bottom.

<!--quoteo(post=43348:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:13 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 9 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Another guy who isn't a true SS.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We don't really need a SS, we have Hak-ju. It's not bad to have more shortstops. Like Jackson however, if they can add on to his frame and make him a power hitter, that's exactly what the Cubs need.

<!--quoteo(post=43350:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 9 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43348:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:13 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 9 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Another guy who isn't a true SS.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We don't really need a SS, we have Hak-ju. It's not bad to have more shortstops. Like Jackson however, if they can add on to his frame and make him a power hitter, that's exactly what the Cubs need.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You're probably right. It just seems like we haven't had many true SS's with much potential in this organization for quite some time. It would be nice to have a few to choose from in case Hak-Ju or whatever his name is doesn't pan out.

<!--quoteo(post=43351:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:19 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jun 9 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43350:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:16 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Jun 9 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43348:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:13 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 9 2009, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Another guy who isn't a true SS.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're probably right. It just seems like we haven't had many true SS's with much potential in this organization for quite some time. It would be nice to have a few to choose from in case Hak-Ju or whatever his name is doesn't pan out.

Well, they have Starlin Castro, Junior Lake, and even though he's not projected to stick at SS, Ryan Flaherty. All of those players are very highly regarded. Add Darwin Barney to that list who is a great glove and is finding a bat. I think the Cubs are pretty good on SS depth in the system.

Oh yeah, Marwin Gonzalez too, although I don't think he'll stick at SS either.

The Draft - Fly - 06-09-2009

We may not need shortstops, but you can't draft position players based on position as they change positions so often through the minors.

That said, I'm sure none of these drafted players will ever come close to the bigs.

<!--quoteo(post=43356:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:31 PM:name=FlyAtTheThigh)-->QUOTE (FlyAtTheThigh @ Jun 9 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That said, I'm sure none of these drafted players will ever come close to the bigs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure I wanna hear the answer but I'm gonna ask... why? Because they're now Cubs or because of what you've heard about them?

The Draft - kbwsb - 06-09-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43349:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:14 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 9 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=43346:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jun 9 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This organization is so fucking predictable.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'll keep saying it. I really hope Ricketts cleans house, top to bottom.
That would be superb.
I really wouldn't mind these Wilken longshot picks if they ever panned out. But he's starting to look like freaking Al Davis.

The Draft - cigar - 06-09-2009

Sorry guys but I can not read some of this
garbage anymore. I find it utterly ridiculous that we are ripping players or picks that we know absolutely nothing about other than what we read. We had almost the last pick in the first round. We were not getting a sure thing even if there was such a thing. It would not of mattered who we would of picked you would of been guaranfuckingteed over half this board would of been crying about it.

This is not directed at anyone certain... just as a whole. It is fucking old. The only reason I have not left here is because I honestly love you guys. I have met a lot of you in person and it changed a lot of things for me personally. You guys are real friends. However I can not take the constant fucking bitching anymore. I realize who we are and understand things have not exactly
went our way the last 100 years. I just want to be a fan again though. I am sick and tired of fretting over every damn trade, free agent signing, minor league moves, call ups, bullpen decisions and crying about the lineup. I understand the questioning of moves at times but this board has went to another level over the last year or two. There is reason people have left this board and that right there for some who doesn't know is the exact reason why. The over reactions are out of control. I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate or posts ripping on me for this but I have let it fester in me for to long. I believe in karma and sometimes think that maybe the Cubs fan and our way of always waiting for the worst has affected our teams in the past. We have people who say they will not boo but then come on here and just tear players and coaches apart. I guess I don't really get the difference.

Anyway...even though I understand that things are not always roses and sunshine I am going to do my best at just being a fan again. I had a lot more fun that way. Rip away...

<!--quoteo(post=43362:date=Jun 9 2009, 09:59 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Jun 9 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Sorry guys but I can not read some of this
garbage anymore. I find it utterly ridiculous that we are ripping players or picks that we know absolutely nothing about other than what we read. We had almost the last pick in the first round. We were not getting a sure thing even if there was such a thing. It would not of mattered who we would of picked you would of been guaranfuckingteed over half this board would of been crying about it.

This is not directed at anyone certain... just as a whole. It is fucking old. The only reason I have not left here is because I honestly love you guys. I have met a lot of you in person and it changed a lot of things for me personally. You guys are real friends. However I can not take the constant fucking bitching anymore. I realize who we are and understand things have not exactly
went our way the last 100 years. I just want to be a fan again though. I am sick and tired of fretting over every damn trade, free agent signing, minor league moves, call ups, bullpen decisions and crying about the lineup. I understand the questioning of moves at times but this board has went to another level over the last year or two. There is reason people have left this board and that right there for some who doesn't know is the exact reason why. The over reactions are out of control. I am sure I am going to get a lot of hate or posts ripping on me for this but I have let it fester in me for to long. I believe in karma and sometimes think that maybe the Cubs fan and our way of always waiting for the worst has affected our teams in the past. We have people who say they will not boo but then come on here and just tear players and coaches apart. I guess I don't really get the difference.

Anyway...even though I understand that things are not always roses and sunshine I am going to do my best at just being a fan again. I had a lot more fun that way. Rip away...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I feel that way a lot but I don't speak up because I'm worried of alienating myself from others.