Sons of Ivy
Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? (/thread-5578.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - Butcher - 03-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=84152:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:22 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Mar 23 2010, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm missing something. What's the downside to having Nady on the DL?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He wouldn't be able to pinch-hit. He's probably our best pinch-hitter at this point and he can swing the bat fine -- he just can't field.

That's my guess.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - ColoradoCub - 03-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=84153:date=Mar 23 2010, 01:22 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 23 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That would be fine, though I still prefer Tracy over Millar because he is more versatile, and especially with the chances of ARam playing more than 120 games this season looking iffy at best, I'd rather have more options at 3B than just Baker.

Yeah, I agree.The biggest reasons cited for keeping Millar is his clubhouse presence, and his ST batting average... really, I could care less about either of those reasons.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - AnnoCatuli - 03-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This bench can not work, unless they only carry six pitchers in the bullpen. With the seven pitchers in the pen, we only have room for five bench players. Millar, Tracy, Nady, and Fuld can not all make the team. Not unless Baker is going to be cut or traded.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - Ace - 03-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=84235:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This bench can not work, unless they only carry six pitchers in the bullpen. With the seven pitchers in the pen, we only have room for five bench players. Millar, Tracy, Nady, and Fuld can not all make the team. Not unless Baker is going to be cut or traded.

I was literally about to post the same thing, but then I re-read: I think Sully is saying the Cubs *want* to keep both Millar and Tracy, but since they won't DL Nady, they realize they can't carry both.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - Fella - 03-23-2010

Maybe we can just hire Millar as an assistant bench coach and keep Tracy as a player.

<!--quoteo(post=84236:date=Mar 23 2010, 05:59 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 23 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84235:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was literally about to post the same thing, but then I re-read: I think Sully is saying the Cubs *want* to keep both Millar and Tracy, but since they won't DL Nady, they realize they can't carry both.

They can if they only go with Nady on the bench for the OF, which would be a mistake. Sure, Fukudome can play CF if Byrd cant go with Nady in RF, but I still don't like that Nady cant make full throws from the OF. Millar and Tracy "CAN" play the corners in the OF, but I wouldn't be comfortable with them spending more than an inning out there at a time.

<!--quoteo(post=84240:date=Mar 23 2010, 07:11 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 23 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84236:date=Mar 23 2010, 05:59 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 23 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84235:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They can if they only go with Nady on the bench for the OF, which would be a mistake. Sure, Fukudome can play CF if Byrd cant go with Nady in RF, but I still don't like that Nady cant make full throws from the OF. Millar and Tracy "CAN" play the corners in the OF, but I wouldn't be comfortable with them spending more than an inning out there at a time.

Sullivan's comment sounded as though Fuld or Colvin would take one of the spots - thus, no Tracy <i>and </i>Millar. That's all I'm saying.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - Butcher - 03-23-2010

I don't see the purpose of adding Millar to the roster. His "cowboy up" bullshit isn't the reason the Red Sox won and he's old and shitty now. Why is he even being mentioned in the discussion? Because he's raking in spring training games? C'mon. He's useless. Let him ride off into the sunset.

Personally, Id ditch both Millar and Tracy. Carry Fuld and Blanco. Fuld backs up every outfield position and Blanco can backup 2B and SS. Baker takes 2B and 3B. Nady can play 1B, but Lee needs to be tied down to keep him out of the lineup.

Tracy hasn't done shit in a couple years, but if he looks good, I'd have no problem with the Cubs carrying him (which is what I expect to happen at present).

From everything I have seen and heard, Tracy hasn't done much of anything to earn a job. Id love to see him if he can actually earn a job and give some production. He is the best third baseman we have, outside of Ramirez, but if he cant hit, I dont want him on the team.

Then again, Blanco cant hit either, so it would be whoever fills a bigger need, which may be Tracy, solely because he wouldn't be a complete butcher at the hot corner.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - cigar - 03-23-2010

Has Blanco even played a game in the last couple of weeks? I think with the mighty Font playing a little ss... Blanco is as good as gone unless they put him on the DL. I honestly believe they view Castro their as their backup SS even though he is going to start at AAA.

<!--quoteo(post=84252:date=Mar 23 2010, 07:56 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Mar 23 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has Blanco even played a game in the last couple of weeks? I think with the mighty Font playing a little ss... Blanco is as good as gone unless they put him on the DL. I honestly believe they view Castro their as their backup SS even though he is going to start at AAA.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blanco got into yesterday's game late as a sub at shortstop - first action in over two weeks.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - cigar - 03-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=84253:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:58 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 23 2010, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84252:date=Mar 23 2010, 07:56 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Mar 23 2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has Blanco even played a game in the last couple of weeks? I think with the mighty Font playing a little ss... Blanco is as good as gone unless they put him on the DL. I honestly believe they view Castro their as their backup SS even though he is going to start at AAA.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blanco got into yesterday's game late as a sub at shortstop - first action in over two weeks.

I don't think he is going to make the team. I could be wrong but I just don't see it.

Cubs Trim Spring Roster for 2nd time...Who's left? - jeffy - 03-23-2010

<!--quoteo(post=84241:date=Mar 23 2010, 05:24 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 23 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84240:date=Mar 23 2010, 07:11 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 23 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84236:date=Mar 23 2010, 05:59 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 23 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84235:date=Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 23 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84150:date=Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Mar 23 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Back to the roster. Sullivan says Silva and Gorzelanny in the rotation with Samardzija and Marshall in the pen. They want to keep both Millar and Tracy, but aren't willing to put Nady on the DL, and may opt to keep Fuld over Colvin because they want Colvin to get playing time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sullivan's comment sounded as though Fuld or Colvin would take one of the spots - thus, no Tracy <i>and </i>Millar. That's all I'm saying.

I'd like to see Colvin take a spot.