Sons of Ivy
Ticket prices, Spring Training, skating & more - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Ticket prices, Spring Training, skating & more (/thread-6031.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Ticket prices, Spring Training, skating & more - MrSheps - 04-07-2010

<!--quoteo(post=86668:date=Apr 7 2010, 11:29 AM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 7 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=86665:date=Apr 7 2010, 11:22 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 7 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Well, you get baseball and lots of comedy. I'd say it's a fair price.

You can get a ticket at Coors for $4 in the Rockpile, and it's easy to move around to awesome seats, or we usually just stand right above the end of the first level in the infield. Cheaper to get into the stadium than buy a beer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nice. I love when Artie Moreno took over the Angels, the first thing he did was lower beer prices.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I knew they were raising ticket prices and bitched about the payroll not increasing enough to justify the extra revenue. Now that stories are coming out that the Cubs avg. ticket prices are the highest in baseball I think there will be a slight backlash, fair or not.

I say fair or not because the Cubs start the year as tops in the NL in terms of payroll. So fans should know that. I don't think they'll end up there at the end of the year, but I do think fans should demand a big move at the deadline if the team is in it that adds payroll.

More importantly, people need to remember that the average ticket price at Wrigley v. LA's stadiums or Coors Filed isn't always a fair comparison. Yeah, you can get a Dodger's ticket for 10 bucks, but the seat will be somewhat awful compared to most seats at Wrigley. Without looking too closely at the numbers, I would guess that a comparable seat at Dodger Stadium is priced about the same as a seat at Wrigley, the average price just gets skewed by 55K seats v. 40K. The demand for 1 of 55K seats isn't the same as the demand for 1 of 40K, particularly when the extra 15 thousand aren't seats that are close enough to garner as much interest.

Ticket prices, Spring Training, skating &amp; more - Bricklayer - 04-07-2010

<!--quoteo(post=86646:date=Apr 7 2010, 12:26 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 7 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=86645:date=Apr 7 2010, 10:15 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Apr 7 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->darrenrovell1

Team Marketing Report: Avg. MLB ticket is $26.79. The highest avg ticket? The Cubs at $52.56.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yup. Bleacher seats in LA and Anahiem start under $10. For the Cubs you can sit in the bleachers and pay $45.

This the key. Virtually any other park the bleachers are some of the cheapest tix. We get to pay top dollar for fucking general admission seating.

Ticket prices, Spring Training, skating &amp; more - MrSheps - 04-08-2010

<!--quoteo(post=86888:date=Apr 7 2010, 08:15 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Apr 7 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=86646:date=Apr 7 2010, 12:26 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 7 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=86645:date=Apr 7 2010, 10:15 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Apr 7 2010, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->darrenrovell1

Team Marketing Report: Avg. MLB ticket is $26.79. The highest avg ticket? The Cubs at $52.56.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yup. Bleacher seats in LA and Anahiem start under $10. For the Cubs you can sit in the bleachers and pay $45.

This the key. Virtually any other park the bleachers are some of the cheapest tix. We get to pay top dollar for fucking general admission seating.
2 things though. Unless it's changed, there is no beer in the bleachers at Dodger's stadium. Unless you buy into the all you can eat section for 40 bucks. Call me a drunk, but I'll take Wrigley's setup. And second, there is less bleacher real estate at Wrigley and while it's hard to tell, I would bet the majority of it is closer to the field than at Dodger's stadium.

I agree that the high prices of bleacher seating at Wrigley is annoying, it's mostly driven by history and an affinity for the seating that is in people's hearts not their heads. But you can't blame the Cubs. First, they only can charge what people will pay, and they always sell out the bleachers, the demand is high. Sitting on top of the green monster is probably a crappy seat, people want it though and pay for it. And second, they need to make money with less seats than in most parks, 15 thousand less seats in the case of Dodger's Stadium.

Ticket prices, Spring Training, skating &amp; more - bz - 04-08-2010

That looks like shit. Awful, awful, awful...

but it's temporary...thank god