Sons of Ivy
National League Division Winner Predictions - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: National League Division Winner Predictions (/thread-5513.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

National League Division Winner Predictions - funkster - 04-04-2010

Mike Imrem (no that it matters he's the Joe Morgan of sports writers) picked them to be fourth in that order too. I just find it completely ridiculous. Just heard Phil Rogers' dumbass talking about how great the Brewers are going to be as well....seriously? Randy Wolf is that good?

National League Division Winner Predictions - biggz - 04-04-2010

Seriously, the Brewers have Gallardo, Wolf and then Tom, Dick and Harry.

National League Division Winner Predictions - funkster - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85823:date=Apr 4 2010, 05:27 PM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ Apr 4 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Seriously, the Brewers have Gallardo, Wolf and then Tom, Dick and Harry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Uh...don't forget Doug Davis ha! I mean if Davis was pitching against us every start, Cy Young, but lucky for us he has to face everyone else too.

National League Division Winner Predictions - jstraw - 04-04-2010

You guys can say what you want about the current roster but I'll remind you that they've not only kept us in it so far...but that we're currently tied for first place.

National League Division Winner Predictions - kbwsb - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->STL
CIN
MIL
CHC
PIT
HOU<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not going to get too upset about pre-season guesses. A lot of folks seem to think that the Brewers are stronger than I think they are. And the Reds seem to be everyone's "sleeper" team...if everything goes right, they have the talent to surprise.

I think writers are underrating the Cubs. Time will tell.

National League Division Winner Predictions - Dave - 04-04-2010

Whats with every media outlet on the planet picking the Reds to contend in the division? Whichever pitcher happens to lead the team in wins by the end of April will be leading the team in Tommy John surgeries by the end of May.

National League Division Winner Predictions - Destined - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85833:date=Apr 4 2010, 04:13 PM:name=Dave)-->QUOTE (Dave @ Apr 4 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Whats with every media outlet on the planet picking the Reds to contend in the division? Whichever pitcher happens to lead the team in wins by the end of April will be leading the team in Tommy John surgeries by the end of May.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They've been the dark horse in the division five years running, according to the press.

National League Division Winner Predictions - Scarey - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lee can be replaced by Nady, Ramirez can be bandaged with Baker/Tracy, and we actually have two decent MLB ready offensive catchers to take some of Soto's ABs if needed in Clevenger and Chirinos. Marmol I disagree on, but that's mostly my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me there.

Believe it or not, we're not in bad shape if we lose a guy or two for a bit to injury. I can't say the same for the Cardinals when they have 28 year old minor leaguers for depth.

<!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lee can be replaced by Nady, Ramirez can be bandaged with Baker/Tracy, and we actually have two decent MLB ready offensive catchers to take some of Soto's ABs if needed in Clevenger and Chirinos. Marmol I disagree on, but that's mostly my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me there.

Believe it or not, we're not in bad shape if we lose a guy or two for a bit to injury. I can't say the same for the Cardinals when they have 28 year old minor leaguers for depth.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Not a Wellington fan at catcher?

National League Division Winner Predictions - Clapp - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 08:11 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those guys might be able to step in and do an okay job, but we're certainly not going to the playoffs if any of Lee, Aramis, Soto, or Marmol go down for an extended period of time. Aramis' injury killed us last year.

<!--quoteo(post=85856:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:30 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 08:11 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those guys might be able to step in and do an okay job, but we're certainly not going to the playoffs if any of Lee, Aramis, Soto, or Marmol go down for an extended period of time. Aramis' injury killed us last year.
Yep. If Aramis gets hurt, we might as well bring up Castro and move Theriot to third and Fontenot/Baker to third. That obviously, would make a dismal infield in terms of offensive production.

National League Division Winner Predictions - ruby23 - 04-04-2010

There's a shitload of bad teams in the NL.

National League Division Winner Predictions - Dave - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85859:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:52 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 4 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's a shitload of bad teams in the NL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nats, Astros, Pirates, Padres are the team guaranteed to be shit. The Mets and Reds will likely be shit. The Marlins, Brewers, Dodgers, Giants and D-Backs have a shot at competing but also have huge holes. That leaves the Cubs, Cards, Braves, Phils and Rockies as teams I feel comfortable saying will have winning seasons.

In other words, you're right, lot-o-shit here.

National League Division Winner Predictions - Clapp - 04-04-2010

<!--quoteo(post=85864:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:15 PM:name=Dave)-->QUOTE (Dave @ Apr 4 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85859:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:52 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 4 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's a shitload of bad teams in the NL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Nats, Astros, Pirates, Padres are the team guaranteed to be shit. The Mets and Reds will likely be shit. The Marlins, Brewers, Dodgers, Giants and D-Backs have a shot at competing but also have huge holes. That leaves the Cubs, Cards, Braves, Phils and Rockies as teams I feel comfortable saying will have winning seasons.

I'd be quite shocked if the Dodgers didn't have <b>at least</b> a winning season. Manny missed 50 games last year and they still led the majors in run differential. I still think they win the West.

<!--quoteo(post=85865:date=Apr 4 2010, 08:25 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85864:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:15 PM:name=Dave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dave @ Apr 4 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85859:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:52 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 4 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->There's a shitload of bad teams in the NL.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be quite shocked if the Dodgers didn't have <b>at least</b> a winning season. Manny missed 50 games last year and they still led the majors in run differential. I still think they win the West.
Winning season, yes. Anything more? I'm not so sure, but they definitely have the bats in the middle of the order. They have probably the best CF in the NL in Matt Kemp, and I think he's going to explode this year, just as Kershaw will. They have best outfield in baseball, and a pretty blah infield, in my opinion. If Billingsly and Kuroda can be solid and have great years, then I think they can do it. Let's see where they are at the break, and if they can unload a prospect or two for a second baseman, possibly Jose Lopez if the M's are out of it, then they could be pretty scary.