Sons of Ivy
Derosa back to Cubs? - Printable Version

+- Sons of Ivy (https://sonsofivy.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Chicago Cubs (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: The Friendly Confines (https://sonsofivy.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Derosa back to Cubs? (/thread-6952.html)

Pages: 1 2

Derosa back to Cubs? - rok - 06-11-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43613:date=Jun 11 2009, 10:29 AM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Jun 11 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think it is Hendry admitting a mistake. We all know he moved DeRo in hopes of landing Peavy. Now, that Peavy isn't really an option it would make sense to bring DeRosa back. He did leave on good terms. "This was the hardest decision I ever had to make, blah blah blah."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not so sure. DeRosa has had a lot of great things to say about Cubs fans since the trade, but every time Hendry's name is brought up, he seems to still be at a loss for words. I can't imagine this happening. It would be like KW trading for Carl Everett 58 times in that one Sox season.

Derosa back to Cubs? - Fella - 06-11-2009

I don't know, DeRo didn't sound like he was on very good terms with it, he said he didn't understand it and it really upset him, in the Chicago paper when the Indians played the Sox recently.

Hendry also admitted in the paper very recently that he traded DeRosa to get more left-handed, not as part of a Peavy plan.

The ironic part is DeRosa is the exact type of player we need, a guy who can that play 2nd and 3rd and can even play for Bradley in the OF but I do think it would look really bad for Hendry to deal back for him now. It would look like he made a mistake and that he was abandoning his "get more left-handed" plan. When Aramis came back it would mean Fontenot to the bench and we would be just as right-handed as last year.

Derosa back to Cubs? - Coldneck - 06-11-2009

I don't see the Cubs adding payroll. So who do you think the Tribe would want to even out the salaries. I can't see this happening because I can't think of anyone the Tribe would want other than prospects.

Derosa back to Cubs? - DaveB - 06-11-2009

Maybe a prospect whose on the verge of MLB status?
Someone who can take advantage of the DL for the Indians (Fox).
Although I just can't see Hendry giving up Fox to make up for his mistake.

Derosa back to Cubs? - rok - 06-11-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43651:date=Jun 11 2009, 02:45 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jun 11 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe a prospect whose on the verge of MLB status?
Although I just can't see Hendry giving up Fox to make up for his mistake.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He really doesn't have a future here, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Still won't happen though.

Derosa back to Cubs? - 1060Ivy - 06-11-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43651:date=Jun 11 2009, 02:45 PM:name=DaveB)-->QUOTE (DaveB @ Jun 11 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe a prospect whose on the verge of MLB status?
Although I just can't see Hendry giving up Fox to make up for his mistake.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As Fox is helping the team more by playing in Iowa or on the bench in Chicago.

Agreed that DeRosa isn't coming back to the Cubs but I don't see Fox as an impediment to doing a deal with the Indians.

Derosa back to Cubs? - Clapp - 06-12-2009

Like Fella said, it would be Hendry abandoning his plan and pretty much saying he screwed up. We're just 57 games into the season, and Bradley not hitting as he always has makes things look much worse than they should've been. A ton of the fan base would appreciate Hendry admitting he made a mistake, but I don't think there's a general manager in the league that would do that so quickly. The Aramis injury is the real problem, and instead of being able to play Fontenot and DeRosa together, it's Fontenot and Scales/Miles/Blanco, which is obviously a big downgrade offensively.

Additionally, how would such a trade work? Do you just give Cleveland back what they traded you? I just can't imagine a "redo" like that happening. In the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs signed him, but trading for him now? I'd be <b>shocked</b>. If it did happen, I'd think it wouldn't be for at least another month as a desperation move, and Aramis will be back by then(or so we've been told). I'd love to add a player like DeRosa that can play a bunch of positions and provide solid offense. If Aaron Miles were hitting .300, I'd be fine with him being that guy, but he's been terrible.

Would I like to have Mark DeRosa on the team? <b>Of course.</b> I just think people are taking it way too far as to where our team would be with him right now.

It's not the loss of Mark DeRosa that has this team hovering around the .500 mark. It's Alfonso Soriano hitting barely over .200 since May 1st. It's Milton Bradley not having a .700 OPS, something he last did in 2001. It's Geovany Soto not supplying any power until this last week, and not doing anything at the plate at all in April. It's Derrek Lee hitting .189 with a .537 OPS in April. It's Aaron Miles who came into this year being a .290 career hitter, hitting .200. It's Ryan Theriot thinking he's a home run hitter because he had a nice 10-game stretch, and of course teams have adjusted how they pitch to him, so he's striking out at a much higher rate than ever before and getting away from what made him a terrific #2 hitter for us last year. It's Mike Fontenot disappearing in May. It's the team consistently not just putting the damn ball in play with runners in scoring position and less than 2 outs. It's Carlos Marmol all of a sudden having no idea where the strike zone is. It's Neal Cotts having an ERA over 7. It's Kevin Gregg and Aaron Heilman having a few performances that would even make '08 Bob Howry laugh.

There's some things people could've possibly seen coming, like Soto having a sophomore slump for example. But most of this has just been players greatly underachieving, and all at the same time. That was really nice of them to do that. If our offensive players were hitting <i>anything</i> like where their career averages are, the team might be up 5 games in the division. People are looking for answers as to why this team is so much different than last year's so far, so understandably they're going to point to the players we decided not to keep. It's all on the players we have not performing as they should be. Again, I'd love to have Mark DeRosa, but he's far from the solution to our problems.

Derosa back to Cubs? - Clapp - 06-12-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43545:date=Jun 10 2009, 07:56 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jun 10 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If he comes back. This team will instantly win 9 in a row. Wrigley will go nuts when he plays the first game back. It's not just his play, it's what he brings to the table. His heart, drive, and lovabilty.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Derosa back to Cubs? - leonardsipes - 06-12-2009

DeRosa is not the reason the Cubs are hovering around .500 instead of .600, but he could easily have made a difference in 2 or 3 games. Thats the difference between 4th place and 1st or 2nd.

He is not a miracle cure, but he makes the Cubs a little bit better. Which is a lot better than making the Cards, Brewers or Reds a little bit better. He would be a great pick up for any of the other contenders.

Derosa back to Cubs? - The Dude - 06-12-2009

Aramis is less than a month away. Doing something now makes no sense. Doing something a month ago would have.

Derosa back to Cubs? - 1060Ivy - 06-13-2009

<!--quoteo(post=43800:date=Jun 12 2009, 11:49 AM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Jun 12 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Aramis is less than a month away. Doing something now makes no sense. Doing something a month ago would have.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He maybe a month away from returning but what are you expectations when he returns.

There is a decent chance it won't be until next season until he is able to regain his power.

Plus, say the Cubs continue to play 500 ball for the next 30 games will there be time enough to get into the playoffs assuming that he comes back at full strength.