Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Cubs
Good. Now I hope they don't waste their time with Chapman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sneaky late night signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(02-25-2024, 09:56 AM)rok Wrote: Good. Now I hope they don't waste their time with Chapman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you guys think is behind Bellinger's Exit Velo, Hard hit and Barrel stats? His 2 strike approach valuing contact, striking out less and thereby sacrificing hard hit stats? I was surprised by these numbers.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-pl...itting-mlb

(02-24-2024, 01:25 AM)Butcher Wrote: I watched game 1 of the 2016 NLCS today. I forgot Maddon pulled Lester after 6 innings with a 3-1 lead and only 77 pitches. Lester was pissed.

Crazy how much he overused Chapman in those playoffs. By the WS, it was like he was trying his hardest to screw destiny.

(02-24-2024, 04:11 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: Never felt nor witnessed anything like Wrigley Field shaking after Miggy’s grand slam. 

Wasn’t aware that he had an epidural for his back days prior so was not expected to be available. 

Most fans forget that Fowler homered on next at bat

Were you at game 7 vs Marlins NLCS when Wood homered?

Always wondered how those homers, in the moment, compared Wrigley going nuts wise. 

Both had the cameras shaking.
(02-25-2024, 12:09 PM)mrfelina Wrote: What do you guys think is behind Bellinger's Exit Velo, Hard hit and Barrel stats? His 2 strike approach valuing contact, striking out less and thereby sacrificing hard hit stats? I was surprised by these numbers.

(02-24-2024, 01:25 AM)Butcher Wrote: I watched game 1 of the 2016 NLCS today. I forgot Maddon pulled Lester after 6 innings with a 3-1 lead and only 77 pitches. Lester was pissed.

Crazy how much he overused Chapman in those playoffs. By the WS, it was like he was trying his hardest to screw destiny.

(02-24-2024, 04:11 PM)1060Ivy Wrote: Never felt nor witnessed anything like Wrigley Field shaking after Miggy’s grand slam. 

Wasn’t aware that he had an epidural for his back days prior so was not expected to be available. 

Always wondered how those homers, in the moment, compared Wrigley going nuts wise. 

Maddon definitely rode Chapman hard, but I can see why he did it. He was a rental and he was brought in do to exactly what he did. I can't remember exactly what game it was in the WS, but there was one game where he came in for the 8th, got two outs, and then the Cubs broke the game open and Maddon brought him back out for the 9th anyway. That was the glaring error -- and I think that game directly led to Chapman not being as sharp in game 7. Thank god it all worked out.

I wasn't at game 7 in 2003, but I was at game 6. After game 6 I knew there was no way we'd win the next game. Even when Wood homered, I knew the Marlins weren't losing.
Yeah, I think we were all resigned to losing that game at that point.

What about you Ivy, were you there when Wood homered?
(02-25-2024, 01:08 PM)Butcher Wrote:
(02-25-2024, 12:09 PM)mrfelina Wrote: What do you guys think is behind Bellinger's Exit Velo, Hard hit and Barrel stats? His 2 strike approach valuing contact, striking out less and thereby sacrificing hard hit stats? I was surprised by these numbers.

Maddon definitely rode Chapman hard, but I can see why he did it. He was a rental and he was brought in do to exactly what he did. I can't remember exactly what game it was in the WS, but there was one game where he came in for the 8th, got two outs, and then the Cubs broke the game open and Maddon brought him back out for the 9th anyway. That was the glaring error -- and I think that game directly led to Chapman not being as sharp in game 7. Thank god it all worked out.

I wasn't at game 7 in 2003, but I was at game 6. After game 6 I knew there was no way we'd win the next game. Even when Wood homered, I knew the Marlins weren't losing.

Oh shit, I forgot you were there to endure that. Thank the universe for 2016 or else we'd really be some miserable motherfuckers.
I remember being just utterly perplexed by Maddon in the 2016 playoffs, particularly the World Series. It felt at times like he was actively trying to put the Cubs in positions to lose games they should win, and perhaps it was because they were just so damn good in '16 that I wasn't watching his in-game decision making closely, but it felt out of nowhere. During the regular season in 2016 I viewed Maddon as this team chemistry genius who kept the clubhouse light and confident and helped young players to find their footing. By the time they won, I remember thinking he was the luckiest guy on the team as he would have been blamed for blowing such a season, and he would have deserved it. I then got over it quickly, as winning solves almost everything.
Managing in the playoffs is such a different approach. Around (and before) 2016 managers were really starting to make their bullpens a bigger part of the game, especially in the playoffs. And I think Maddon just became super risk-averse in the playoffs, especially the deeper the team got. And I'm sure he saw Chapman as a weapon that he could utilize freely without any pushback on overuse.

A perfect example of this is in game 6 of the WS. Cubs are up 7-2 in the 7th inning. Montgomery leaves the game with 2 outs and 2 runners on. OK, fine. Bring Chapman in to kill the threat, I guess. He gets the Cubs out of it and it's still 7-2. Then he brings him out for the 8th inning. Pitches a clean inning. THEN BRINGS HIM BACK OUT AGAIN IN THE 9th! AND THE CUBS SCORED 2 MORE RUNS IN THE TOP OF THE 9TH! IT WAS 9-2! What?! Why would you bring him out for the 9th there? He also pitched 2.2 innings in game 5, an inning in game 3, and 1.1 innings in game 2. He was clearly running on fumes in game 7 and you have to imagine if he didn't throw a completely unnecessary inning the night before, he'd have been a little more fresh.

All that said, we won.
Exactly, perfect example! I was all for abusing Chapman's arm as a rental (and a guy I didn't like), but that seemed really ill-advised because you knew you'd need him in Game 7. The counter argument is you have to get to Game 7, but it's not like he was the one kid on the LL team that could pitch, they had options and a big lead.
(02-27-2024, 04:00 PM)MrSheps Wrote: Exactly, perfect example! I was all for abusing Chapman's arm as a rental (and a guy I didn't like), but that seemed really ill-advised because you knew you'd need him in Game 7. The counter argument is you have to get to Game 7, but it's not like he was the one kid on the LL team that could pitch, they had options and a big lead.

With a 5-run lead, bringing him in is questionable. With a 7-run lead...good god, what are you even doing, Joe?

Don't get me wrong, I really love Maddon. I think he was the perfect manager to take that team to their apex and it all worked out. But some of his weird decisions in the postseason...I don't know. But also, everything is under a microscope.

Anyway, I often think about how everything is different if they don't pull out the win in game 7...
Feels good to have so much young talent on display this spring with several potential studs-in-the making. Hopefully at least a couple of them pan out.
Don’t know about the Cubs having studs in the making but would say there are a number of legitimate MLB players in making rather than the fake ‘OMG Bote will be driving in RBIs for next decade’ excitement

Bote did have a very nice season or at least some great games which allowed him to be one of the only prospects the Cubs extended contract
I said potential studs, but only time will tell. Way too early for most of these guys to say anything either way to be honest, but one can hope (hope is all I have, so let me have it lol). At least our system is looking better than it has in quite awhile, which is a nice feeling, combined with spring in the air... I'm just enjoying the feeling while it lasts.
Agreed

PCA, Shaw, and Triantos coming through in the later innings of today’s game to finally score runs for the first time in 27 innings was outstanding

Each of these guys seem to be on their way to be everyday MLB players in the future. Hopefully, they become studs and foundational to future Cub playoff teams.